Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-485/422 Converter

I have a GPIB-485/422 converter (Mode C) connected to a RF Sig Gen in an enclosure. When the enclosure is powered, both units are turned on at the same time. In this case, the RF Sig Gen takes a while to power up and initialize. In the meantime, the GPIB-485/422 converter comes up, sees no instruments, and essentially goes to sleep (only PWR, RDY LEDs on). Communication with the Sig Gen is not successful.

Cycling power on the GPIB-485/422 converter after the Sig Gen is powered up and ready results in the converter seeing the Sig Gen and successfully  going into listener mode (PWR, RDY, and  LSTN LEDs on). In this case, communication with the Sig Gen is successful. 

I am using a PC running TerraTerm connected to the GPIB-485/422 converter to communicate for test. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to overcome this condition via software once it occurs. I am considering using a time delay relay to power the GPIB-485/422 converter, but would prefer a less brute force solution.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,466 Views)

Hi SteveKay,

I agree that a time delay relay or equivalent hardware solution wouldn't be elegant but it would certainly get the job done.

As for a software solution, are you using any NI software products in this system, or just Tera Term?

Mike B.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,426 Views)

No, we are not using any NI software products in this application.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,416 Views)