From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB 1284ct notebook

I have installed a GPIB 1284ct in my notebook, Windows ME, and I'm using it with the HP Ibasic.

It works fine, all the tests are ok, but when I try to connect it to an equipament (I'm testing it in a HP 3478a Multimeter),

the program can receive the messures, but I cannot control the Multimeter, it doesn't understand the commands.

I've already set the GPIB to bidiretional in the configurations, but it continues the same.

I don't know if there is some command or syntax to make it works, the only command the multimeter understood was "CLEAR",

but the others even in the multimeter's manual weren't successful.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,054 Views)

Make sure the problem isn't with your hardware.

Try the following: 

1)Open MAX

2)Open the VISA test panel of your GPIB

3)In the Write Tab of the VISA test panel type in: *IDN?

If everything is working this comand should give you basic information about your hardware in the Buffer of the Read tab (software version, firmware, etc.).

If you don't recieve any response in the VISA test panel the problem could be with your hardware.

Bruno Noronha

Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer

Using LabVIEW 8.6
Message 2 of 3
(3,019 Views)

I think Bnoronha has the right idea.  The drivers that support the GPIB 1284CT likely do not include MAX.  Instead, try sending simple commands to the instrument using a very basic program (or with utilities).  Make sure that you look up which termination characters the instrument requires.  Without the correct termination characters, the instrument may never respond.  Since the instrument responded correctly to CLEAR, I am under the impression that the hardware is fine, but there is a software setting that is bad.

I hope this helps,

-Lamb

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,007 Views)