Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error connecting to textronix instrument with NI-VISA (Insufficient system resources to perform neccesary memory allocation)

Hi,

I am using the NI-VISA .net driver in Visual Studio C# to create a program that can communicate with a MSO4104B Tektronix oscilliscope.

Sometimes, whenever I try to start a MessageBasedSession with the oscilliscope, I will get the following error shown in the picture below.

In the picture below, I'm using the Simple

ReadWrite.2015 code that is included as example code for the NI-VISA driver. I'm attaching this

example code to this post. I think this issue might start whenever I try to connect to the same oscilliscope via command prompt 

(ping *ip address of scope*) or start a telnet session with the scope (telnet *ip address* *port*) at the same time my visual studio program

is running. However, even when I close all windows and restart my computer and oscilliscope, this issue will still persist for a while and then

sometimes randomly work another day.

IMG-7162.PNG

Does anybody have any idea for how to debug this or what the issue could be?

Here are some pictures of the references added to my project:

ivi_visa.PNGni_visa.PNG

Additionally, here's a snippet of the code I'm using in my actual program to start a session

with the oscilliscope. I have a mbsession.close() statement in my code, but it's not always called 

because sometimes I exit the program early before all the code is finished. Could this be a potential 

issue?

setup.PNG

Some other important debugging information I got was from NI MAX and NI I/O. When this

issue occurs, I can no longer see the oscilliscope ip address on NI MAX.

I also used NI I/O trace to debug this issue a little more and got this output. I got an error

code whenever viOpen(*ip address*) was called. The error status was 0xBFFF003C which I

think means "Insufficient system resources to perform necessary memory allocation".

Anybody knows what this could mean? I have about 5 GB of memory so I think it should 

be fine.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(617 Views)

1. may check the latest firmware of oscilloscope.

2. it may get into trouble while the exception of the mbSession was not created. 

if(mbSession != null)
{
mbSession.Dispose();
}

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(590 Views)