Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -1073807339 occurred at Visa Read

Time out problems with VISA read from Anritsu MS371a , sends commands no problem however error -1073807339 on reading back instrument result (14 bytes) in single step mode.
Tried inserting a time delay between write and read functions and different forms of char termination, The only way I can obtain results is to enable highlight execution or running NI-I-Spy in backround.
Using Sync-Visa read function since visa read Async returns each result char/digit twice (28 chars instead of 14).
Please help as I am running out of ideas, if anyone has intrument drivers for this model even better.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(8,209 Views)
Storm1,

I vaguely remember a misbehaviour (to not call it a bug) in some LV versions. They return a timeout  if you read exactly the amount of bytes that are availabel.
So if your device returns 14 bytes and you call VISAread with 14 bytes, you'll get your 14 bytes but as well a timeout error.   AFAIK it has something to do with termination character and TermChar enable. But you can always ignore the timeout error if you got exactly the requested number of bytes.

HTH   and
Greetings from Germany!<br>-- <br>Uwe
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(8,204 Views)

Thanks Lul,

Increased Read byte count and terminated gpib visa read with " \n" ,EOI, etc, but still no joy .

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(8,203 Views)
Hi Storm1,

If your application is working in highlight execution mode then it would suggest that your program is not waiting long enough for the data back. The article linked bellow has some tips about avoiding the timeout error.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/E6DFA2B8D7E99F9886256C14005E82F7?OpenDocument

Regards

Jon Bowers
Applications Engineer
NIUK
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(8,180 Views)