From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1073807298 on VISA write

I'm experiencing the error 1073807298 when using the VISA write command. I'm trying to write and read data to a serial-to-USB hub connected to the PC. The phyical connection to the PC is via USB however the PC views the four ports on the hub as COM ports. When I make a call to VISA write, the data is successfully written and can be read without any problem, however the VISA write VI still returns with the 1073807298 error. I'm a little mystified by this as it seems to be functioning correctly and yet the error still occurs, indeed if I break the error path after the VISA write, the whole app works fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(14,786 Views)
Just to be clear - is ViWrite returning the code 1073807298 or -1073807298? Positive numbers indicate a warning, while negative numbers indicate an error. It's often easier to conside these numbers in hex, which would make them:
0x4000FFC2 (warning) and 0xBFFF003E (error). If that's coming back as a positive number, that's outside of the scope of VISA warning codes, which all start with 0x3FFF. If it's negative, that error code is VI_ERROR_IO, "Could not perform operation because of I/O error." Now, I realize that that's not very informative, but let's start with confirming whether you're getting an error or a warning code.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(14,765 Views)
Sorry my fault. It is returning the -1073807298 and is coming up with an error not a warning. Basically the program falls over!

Thanks for that.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(14,761 Views)
So now that we know we're dealing with the VI_ERROR_IO error code, can you generate an NI-SPY log file and post it? this would help us a lot to see what's happening when you get that error.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(14,760 Views)
Here you go...

I ran the NI-SPY up to the point the error occurs on the VISA Serial Write vi. Basically all the rest of the code is a boolean cluster acting as a menu and Serial Reads to read acknowledgements from a remote system.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(14,745 Views)
It looks like your serial driver is not able to process the asynchronous reads and writes. I would suggest changing the VISA Write/Read VIs to synchronous.

How Do I Change VISA Reads and Writes from Asynchronous to Synchronous?

-Josh
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(14,720 Views)
I am wondering whether this issue was resolved. I am experiencing the same issue.

Synchronous or Asynchronous writes both fail.

Did you find an adapter that supports NI-VISA?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(14,521 Views)
No - I've not managed to reslove it. At the end of the day I just broke the error path between the write and the read and it works perfectly. Very mysterious.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(14,519 Views)
I have determined that the Delorme USB<>Serial Adapter does not work with NI-VISA.

I have confirmed two USB<>Serial Adapters will work with NI-VISA.

The Belkin F5U109 which I purchased at Circuit City.

The Keyspan USA-19HS which I purchased at Comp USA.

I have tested these adapters on XP SP2 and WIN2K SP4.

Jim West
Summitek Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(14,502 Views)
Hi Jim,

I just got an 8-port USB-Serial from VSCom. I've only had about an hour to experiment but so far, it looks okay. I'll update this if I find any issues.

Dennis
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(14,482 Views)