From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E3633A connected via RS-232

I have tried to connect E3633A via RS-232 and tested Measurement and Automation (MAX). I can send *IDN? and read the model number back, also i can send command to Output on and Output off, changing voltage and current etc. This means the cable and the connection between instrument and computer should be no problem.

However, when I tried to send the command from Labview (6.1), it shows error 1073807339 occurred at VISA Read. I did not try to write complicated codes, I just want to send commands as I did to MAX. Hence, I write VISA Configure serial port, VISA W, VISA R and VISA C, and connect the VISA resource name and error in and out. I also make sure the baud rate, data bits are same as the set on E3633A. After completing the above, I run the program but the error occurred. I changed the timeout to be 10s and 20s, but the error still come out. Can anyone give me suggestions or solutions for this? I am so frustrated, I really hope some one can help me, even just a short comment or correction. Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,377 Views)
Typically, the termination character(s) are not being sent or aren't being sent correctly. Make sure you have '\' Codes Display turned on.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,375 Views)
Thanks. I did try to add termination characters, tried both *idn? And *idn?\n. Are there other termination chac I should try? Or other ways to fix the error? Thanks very much!!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,370 Views)

Use the same terminator that you are using in MAX. If that does not work, then you have not formatted the string correctly. Post your code if you want someone to check your work.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,364 Views)

I great appreciate if you could correct my code. Below is a simple test code i used to connect E3633A to computer via RS-232. I verified the baud rate 9600 and data bit 8 is same as the machine setting. I change the timeout from 10000ms to 20000ms but still error comes out. Any problem found? Thanks!!

new.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,341 Views)

That's not code - that's an image. Post the actual VI or if you post an image, make it a snippet (see the help if you don't know what that is).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,335 Views)

Attached is the VI file. Hope this works.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,332 Views)

I told you to make sure '\' Codes Display was turned on. It is not. When you try to send a termination character, you are sending the text "\" and then "n" (for example). If you did not understand what I meant, you should have asked or looked it up in the LabVIEW help. Just right click on the string control to see the display options.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,330 Views)

I actually tried both: turn on and off the termination character, but didn't solve the error. Here is another vi.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,326 Views)

That's exactly the same as the first. YOU RIGHT CLICK ON THE STRING CONTROL CALLED WRITE BUFFER!

I NEVER told you to change the termination character.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,316 Views)