Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E2740: IEEE-488: (NI EDVR) DOS Error on Fluke 5520A calibrator communication

Hello,

I am trying to port a Fluke 5520A from an old WinXP system to a new Win10 system.
I've been successful in porting everything Fluke related (which is a quite old database system).
The communication with the Fluke 5520A should be by a GPIB-Card, so we purchased a CONTEC GP-IB(PCI)-FL GPIB board.
Everything went smoothly, but now, when starting a calibration process, the following error occurs:

E2740: IEEE-488: (NI EDVR) DOS Error

I talked to the CONTEC support and they told me that their GPIBxx.dll will replace the old ones on the system.
They said that their driver talks by utilizing their GPIBxx.dll's.
But since this seems to be a NI error, I thought about asking the Fluke support, whether they can use the GPIBxx.dll's provided by CONTEC.

So then I talked to the Fluke support and they told me that we have to use the NI (MAX).
They also told me that I have to configure my card(s) correcly, because thats a common problem with this error.
But I am 100% sure that everything is configured the way it should be.

Interestingly, without the CONTEC drivers, the system wont even recognize the installed card at all.
But even with them installed, the NI MAX wont find the card. Also, with installed NI-488.2 drivers from NI, NI MAX wont find any GPIB boards
except for the (non-existing) NI GPIB Network Card.

So my question now is:
How to resolve the above mentioned error (E2740: IEEE-488: (NI EDVR) DOS Error)?
It seems a bit odd to me, that a 400 EUR card wont be able to communicate to a GPIB device, while its commands are usually standardized (SCPI, if I recall correctly).

If you need any more info on it, please ask!
Thank you so much in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,477 Views)

After trying several settings with a COMx port, the same error occurs.

So this problem doesnt seem to be only restricted to the GPIB ports, but also serial communication.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,446 Views)

As far as I know, MAX lists primarily NI-made instruments. GPIB APIs that come with LabVIEW support NI's GPIB cards. If you're using VISA APIs, please check with the GPIB card manufacturer whether the native LV APIs support them.

Based on their comment to use the GPIBxx.dll, it looks like they have a custom dll driver and you have to use functions from that dll to control the GPIB card. Please try out the example provided by the manufacturer at a low level to check if you are actually controlling the GPIB card.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,402 Views)

Hello Santhosh!

Thank you for your reply!

I already tried the example by the manufacturer, the Fluke 5520A responds to standard SCPI-commands, but the whole process doesnt work, unfortunately.

The weird thing is that it worked totally fine before, without a NI GPIB card, in another system (with Win XP). Those were very old drivers and such, and had a good interface.

I honestly dont know how to solve this at all and my only guess left is to try it with an Win 7 system. Hopefullly that works.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,312 Views)

Did you look at this

https://support.flukecal.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003833183-How-to-Fix-E2740-NI-EDVR-DOS-Error

I admit I don't quite understand their explanations, it seems Fluke is not really gpib compliant. My experience is that Fluke communication firmware is fragile in general, even simple DMMs have problems with gpib boards on which any other hardware works well.   

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,286 Views)

Thank you very much!

I've tried it, but it wouldn't work.

I now got it to work with the RS232-Interface.

It works now but since I solved the problem in another way, I dont know whether I should mark this topic as closed or not, since other people might find this thread interesting.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,268 Views)