From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual channel receiver works with NI-PC2/driver v2.6 but not NI-GPIB/TNT(PNP)/driver v2.7.2

I posted a message earlier but didn't word it correctly. We have a Microdyne 2800 receiver that we would like to set up remotely via 488. The receiver works fine in DOS using an older NI-PC2 card with the v2.6 drivers that came with it. However, when we switch to the newer PC-GPIB/TNT(PNP) 488 card with the latest DOS drivers, v2.7.2, it doesn't respond. The receiver recognizes that it received something via the bus but does nothing (it has a little red light that turns on when in remote mode). What prompted us to test it in DOS was that the same thing was happening under WinNT 4.0 using the PNP card and the v1.60 drivers.

In ibic, I'm using the exact same
sequence of commands to setup the card (ibdev, ibclr, and then ibln) and then I use the ibwrt to write the setup string to it. Are there any differences in the cards and/or drivers that I should be aware of?

Thanks for any help!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,944 Views)
Dear Sr.,

This kind of troubleshooting can be extensive so I recommend you to call us in Technical Support to address your issue, you can find the information at:
http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/niae_asc.main

Some of the common questions I'd ask you about this will be:
1. Has this board work before?
2. Have you tried it in another computer?
3. When installing the board, did you ran the configuration utility and did the query and scan for instruments? (Start > Programs > National Instruments > NI-488.2 > Explore GPIB.... click F5 to Refresh then Select your board from "Devices and Interfaces" and click "Scan for Instruments" then when it finds your instrument click "Communicate with Instrument" and then click "Query")
4. Have you tried this IBIC procedure? http://www.ni.com/su
pport/gpib/max/ibic.htm
5. Take a look at this link, it may be of help: http://www.ni.com/support/gpib/dos/attntpnp/default.htm
6. What type of termination character does your instrument uses?

If after looking at this questions and links your board still is not working please give us a call, we may need to try different workarounds or need more information from your system. As far as the information you wrote your board should work fine. Also, I can assume from your info that you have a 488.2 compatible instrument, is this correct?

Regards,

Nestor Sanchez
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,944 Views)
Hi Mr. Sanchez,

The board has worked before. In fact, this seems to be the only device in the stack that it doesn't work with. We have tried it in different computers and still the same result - it will work in DOS using the 2.6 drivers with the other two pieces of equipment but not this one. When the board was installed in the WinNT4.0 machine using the v1.60 drivers, it would recognize the receiver when you scanned for devices but anytime you tried to send it anything from the "Communicate with Instrument" app, it would either timeout or say there were no listeners. The manual states that the incoming messages are terminated using the EOI or a carriage return and linefeed. We've tried with both and it still won't work. It is just so perplexing as
to why it works with the older card with the older drivers but not the newer card and newer drivers.

I'm not sure if it is a 488.2 compliant piece of equipment. Does it matter if you are only using the subset of 488.1 commands? Unfortunately, I will be unable to go through those ibic commands in DOS because I am on travel this week. I will do it first thing when I return next Monday.

Thanks alot for your help! I'll keep you posted.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,944 Views)