Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Stepper Motor Controllers on a CAN Bus

Hello All,

I hope this is the right forum for this message.  If not, please let me know where I should post it.

Friends of mine are working on a project involving controlling many dual-stepper motor assemblies, using LabVIEW as the main control code running in the control hub computer.  The stepper assemblies will be located remotely, up to several hundred feet away from the control hub.  I suggested that they consider using a CAN bus for communications, and they seem interested.

Can any of you recommend drop-in stepper motor controllers for this application that will integrate easily with LabVIEW and NI-CAN?

Is CAN the right com bus for this application?  If not, what would you suggest?  What else should my friends be considering?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide.

Sincerely,

Forbes Black

Forbes Black
Lapsed CLAD, LV 5 - LV 2022 (Yeah, I'm that old...)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,438 Views)

I posted this message in a more appropriate forum group, Motion Control and Motor Drives, but I cannot see a way to delete it here.  Can I do that?

Forbes Black
Lapsed CLAD, LV 5 - LV 2022 (Yeah, I'm that old...)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,432 Views)

Just post a link to the new forum post so that anyone that wants to answer will be directed to the correct one. You can not remove it yourself. Have a great day.

Alex D
Systems Engineer
Academic Research
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,390 Views)