Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver for Agilent 8164B Lightwave Measurement System

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I have some issues with an Agilent 8164B Lightwave Measurement System, is there a driver for this device to work with labVIEW?, at the Programming Guide it says that I should "convert it" but I think this option is only available with older labVIEW versions (I have 8.6).

Actually I'm able to see the device with MAX and perform Read, Write and Query commands.

I hope you could guide me through this and start working with this device.

More details:

- Running on Windows 7

- LabVIEW 8.6

- Using GPIB interface

Thank you very much in advance for your time.

- Gozto -

PS: Of course I'm asking here because there was no driver available at ni.com 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,468 Views)

Hello,

I've installed that driver before, I was wondering if there was a driver with VI's like "initialize", "close" and so on, like many of the other driver instruments that NI provide :)?

If not I guess I should start working with VISA isn't it? 

I've never worked with VISA, and I'm also new at LabVIEW, so, that's the reason why I am wondering this and asking this.

Thanks in advance.

- Gozto - 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,450 Views)

I don't know what you are looking at.

I see hp816x Initialize.vi, hp816x Preset.vi, etc. I would say about 50 VIs in all.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,441 Views)

Well, all that I see are my other drivers but not this one.

What do you think that could be wrong?

Thanks.

PS: Pictures attached. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,439 Views)

Where did the driver get installed? The palette only shows what is in \instr.lib.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,428 Views)

Default's:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\VISA\WinNT

But I actually installed too at C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.6\instr.lib and it looks weird, I attached another picture with the result.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,422 Views)

Why don't you look at the folder in windows explorer to see how it is installed instead of guessing with the palette and posting these less than worthwhile images? Directly under \instr.lib should be a folder named as the instrument. Under that should be the llb.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,412 Views)

Ok, I will copy and paste what I answered.

The default's directory for the drivers installation is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\VISA\WinNT

So, that's why there is nothing related to the driver at the palette.

Then I reinstalled the driver at the folder that you are indicating C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.6\instr.lib, the result at the palettes was the last picture that I attached: "way2.png". That means that there is in fact an 816x option, but nothing useful inside it :s

🙂

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,403 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Gozto

Do not confuse the plug and play driver with the LabVIEW wrapper. The plug and play driver (the dll, etc.) needs to be in the IVIfoundation folder. In the \instr.lib folder should be the LabVIEW llb functions that are CLFN to the dll. Attach an image of windows explorer it you are going to attach any image.

Message 10 of 11
(5,400 Views)