Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dosbox Support for GPIB

Solved!
Go to solution

I don't know if this will help but if your DOS app is using ibfind with custom device names to talk to the instruments, we have found that those device names are not visible to DOS apps running in Windows XP or higher.  In those cases, we've had to use the default device names 'DEV1', 'DEV2', and so on.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(2,806 Views)

It's not even using that.    Here's the snippet of BASICA code that I believe we're having issues with:

590  'INITIALIZE

600  DEF SEG = &HE000

610  CMD$ = "SYSCON MAD=0, CIC=1, NOB=1, BA0=&H300"

620  IE488 = 0

630  A% = 0: FLG% = 0: BRD% = 0

640  CALL IE488(CMD$, A%, FLG%, BRD%)

650  IF FLG% THEN PRINT "INITIALIZATION ERROR": RESENDFLAG = 6

660  RETURN

As near as we can tell, it is hanging-up at line 600 because that was coded to specifically initialize a Keithley MetraByte IE488 card.   We're trying to figure out what we need to replace this code, so that it recognizes the new GPIB-USB-HS interface.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(2,798 Views)

Garry,

can you tell me did you have to do any modification to dosbox to accept your device at the GPIB under win7?
I'm running 64-bit version of win7 and have an DOS application that need to communicate with a data analyzer using GPIB.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(2,769 Views)

No I did not modify DOSBox to emulate GPIB for DOS applications.  My immediate problem was solved with their latest driver that supports DOS applications running in 32-bit Windows OS.

Since you are running a 64-bit OS, you are obviously aware that DOS and 16-bit Windows applications won't run at all in this environment (nothing to do with NI drivers) unless you are running them in a VM (like XP Mode or VMWare).  I've found that a VM running Windows XP with the NI drivers installed on the VM will enable DOS applications running in that VM to communication over GPIB using a GPIB-ENET device.  It may also work with their USB to GPIB devices but I have never used them myself so I cannot say from experience if this is true.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(2,757 Views)

Unfortunately, I am not able to run my application under XP mode. I get error saying that winsys.com is not in the current directory (and actally it is) , and after running winsys, new video error occures saying "The video device failed to initialiaze for fullscreen mode.", and there is no connecection to my dongle on com port (saying com port not connected, but I enabled it in Setting for XP mode).

This DOS application is runnig under DOSbox, but since I need to connect data analyzer with GPIB connection, and there is no GPIB support under DOSbox, neither dosbox can't help me.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(2,739 Views)

@Michelle_N wrote:

NI-488.2 v3.0 is now released and available for download:

NI-488.2 3.0 - Windows 7 x86/Vista x86/7 64 bit/XP/Server 2003 R2 (32-bit)/Vista x64/Server 2008 R2 ...

For version NI-488.2 version 3.0: Previous versions of NI-488.2 for Windows did not install DOS and Win16 support on Windows 7 or Vista. It is now installed on all 32-bit versions of Windows. The feature is enabled by default, but may be disabled through Measurement and Automation Explorer.

Dear Michelle, i have a simular problem.
I try to comunicate between an Winows XP computer and an old Ellipsometer over GPIB.

The Ellipsometer Software is writen for DOS. For that reason i wanted to try your linked driver but i think the link is broken. Do you have an alternative link or can you upload it again? It would help me very much.

Kind regards

Simon Paulus

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(2,046 Views)

Hi Simon,

This version of 488.2 is no longer available for download off our website.

If you need any software that is no longer available for download, reach out to support at 866-275-6964 or support@ni.com to discuss what options are available for you.

I've sent you a private message discussing your options. Please reply with the requested information at your earliest convenience.

Best regards,

Misbah

NI Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(2,018 Views)

Hello Simon,

A little late to the party but I still have a copy of that driver if you need it.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,757 Views)

I'm in the same boat - can I have the driver too ;-)?

Dosbox runs the legacy code I have (Rohde&Schwarz MSDOS Test Software) but obviously no support for GPIB. I have a GPIB USB HS Adapter that I would prefer to use - if not; which hardware would be supported?

I'm on WIN10 - 64bit - anything else I am missing?

Thanks ahead

tb

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,739 Views)

Not sure how to get it to you.  I have a big ISO file containing it.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,717 Views)