Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does NI Spy work only in the development environment?

Solved!
Go to solution

Will NI Spy work on deployed stand-alone LabView applications (executables) (using VISA vi's), or does NI Spy work only in the development environment? It might be useful in debugging deployed applications.

If the answer is yes (which I doubt), then NI would have to create an installer for it since currently it is only available as an add-on.

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,463 Views)

Yes NI Spy will work on deployed systems. For example I use it with a TestStand deployed application that uses LabVIEW modules for testing.

I beleive it installs with MAX.

Also note that in LV 2010 that there is NI Spy VI's so I would imagine when creating a build the dependencies would be added if you use those vi's. I haven't test it though.

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
Message 2 of 8
(3,444 Views)

I have attached a screen shot of the additional installers available in "Installer Properties" in my project file. Is the highlighted "NI-VISA Configurartion Support 4.2" item the one that has the installer for NI Spy?

Is a stand-alone installer available, or would I have to re-do my installer and have my customer re-install (to update his current installation)?

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,439 Views)

See this knowledgebase article.

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,435 Views)

Are the drivers an update to an existing installation, or can they be installed stand-alone with a development platform, such as LabView, not being installed?

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,426 Views)

GovBob is correct. The version of Spy with the deployment feature is 2.7, which shipped with VISA 4.6. So you would need to upgrade to VISA 4.6 or above.

Regards,

Song Du
Systems Software
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,425 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Edjsch

Edjsch,

You can install VISA as a standalone w/o LabVIEW. Spy does not have a standalone installer because it doesn't do anything on its own. That's why we always package it with a NI driver or application software.

Regards,

Song Du
Systems Software
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,422 Views)

Thank you all. After my last post I started the download of VISA 4.2 (my version) and received your replies before it was finished. I then (re-) installed it on a PC that had my application but did not have LabView installed. Sure enough, MAX, NI Spy, and a few other goodies were installed as you guys said. And they work!

Song Du, FYI: I just want to tell you that in MAX's VISA Test Panel there's an attribute called VI_ATTR_ASRL_STOP_BITS which = 10 by default. I think that attribute is misleadingly named and would be better named something like VI_ATTR_ASRL_TOTAL_BITS as it appears to be the sum of the start bit, the (8) data bits, and the stop bit.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,414 Views)