From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining Commands for Controlling Stepping Motor in LabVIEW (Serial)

Hi,

I need to control a stepping motor (PCM-02) with LabVIEW, which will then control a monochrometer.  The program should be rather short and sweet; all it needs to do is change the output wavelength of the attached monochrometer in steps.  I have downloaded the driver that came with the package.  There is a program that comes with it as well and this confirms that the connections to the stepping motor are good.  The trouble arises when I try to communicate with it in LabVIEW.  I started by opening the Basic Serial Read and Write VI.  The string output is always identical as the string input.  This doesn't make sense to me when I type a command that should have a response, because it's just returning the original command. Could someone help me format the type of commands i need for the string input?  Here is the link for the users guide, which includes the list of possible commands: http://www.ams2000.com/docs/TechManuals/dcb241ma.pdf   Any help would be much appreciated.  

Cam 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,911 Views)

Hello,

I believe it would help if we knew exactly what commands you were sending to this third party device.  Based on what I've read from the manual on the device, some commands return an echo of the original command. Ultimately, the manufacture of the third part device who provided the manual can answer this question, and I would advise you to contact them.

Regards,

Shawn S. | NIC
Instrument Driver/IVI PSE
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,888 Views)