From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling SR780 via GPIB for Low Frequency Noise Measurements

Hi all,

I am wanting to control a SR780 analyser with LabVIEW for a project on low frequency noise measurements that I am working on. 

I have only used LabVIEW briefly in the past (a few training courses etc), I have been through the 'Core 1' training material for a refresher however the 'Instrument Control' course is not available to me through my University program.

I have tried looking for examples online though I am yet to find anything that is detailed enough to be of any help.

I have the correct driver installed and I am able to communicate (via Agilent 82357A GPIB) with the instrument (simple *IDN, *RST commands through NI VISA) however I am a bit overwhelmed with how to begin developing the instrument control program.

If possible, could someone please point me in the right direction for where I can get some help? I have just ordered the 'Instrument Control Course Kit' through NI which I am hoping will be my saving grace.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,830 Views)

1. The drivers should have examples.

2. The first rule of instrument control is you really need to know how to manually setup your instrument for the measurements you want.  Write every tiny step and then go find the VI/command that does each step.  From there, just sequence with the error wire and/or use a State Machine.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 3
(2,815 Views)

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The driver only has one example, and it is only the front panel so I have been trying to do a bit of reverse engineering to figure out the source code.

That is a good first rule, it makes complete logical sense. I have source code for the measurements that I need to do for a different program so I will work on translating that to manual steps and then move on to converting that to LabVIEW.

Message 3 of 3
(2,813 Views)