Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling Power supply and Power sink in same VI?

Dear friends, i am trying to control power sink using Labview driver provided by the company, and power source using VISA RS232 communication. When i use them separately it works just perfect, however, when i use them in the same program the VISA (power source) keep showing error in the reading step, i uploaded the labview file. Please help me in this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,131 Views)

Hi,

I´m Thomas, an Application Engineer from NI.

Can we talk in German? Can you discribe your problem in german, too?

Can you post an Screenshot of your Error.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,111 Views)

Hi Thomas,

I am studying at ingolstadt but i am not german unfortunately (international automotive program in german).

My problem is that i am using Labview to control TDKLambda (using VISA).... and Genyses as power sink (using their Labview driver). I could control them separatly however when i combine them in the same VI the VISA keeps showing up errors! i really apreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,101 Views)

Although i increased number of Reading Bytes... indeed keep showing this error. I increased the time out as well, no success as well. Please find attached the error screenings.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,099 Views)

Hi Thomas,

I have just solved the problem partially, i have no error when i put the read in different new frame. but now i have to control them simulataniously meaning: i need to control the source and the sink at the same time in order to provide specific current and voltage, and the time steps are too small (0.1 ms) that is impossible to make them in different frames. what should i do?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,081 Views)

I checked your program.

This is not the way a program in LabVIEW should be written.

Look at the way a real instrument driver should be programmed by subvi's that  perform a specific task.

Like initialize instrument, and set a value in the instrument or read a value from the instrument.

In your main vi you get a more readble program and you also can test the subvi's easier.

What instruments are yo talking to anyway?

Are there no real drivers available?

search on the NI instrument driver network.

http://search.ni.com/nisearch/app/main/p/ap/tech/lang/nl/pg/1/sn/ssnav:idr/

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,076 Views)

Hi 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,065 Views)

If i use the Labview driver .... how can i control simultaneously any way?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,056 Views)
Synchronising heremeans sending the correct command at the correct time. Not necessary at exactly the same time. As i said already. Sending a command via a driver is exactly the same as sending the command in themain program, only change is that your system becomes modular and easier to debug. Maybe you need special timing when one or both the instruments take their time. So my first question now is: what is the error when combining the two instruments?
Is it a timeout, then either the command is not correct or the expected number of characters or the end character is wrong.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,047 Views)
Synchronising heremeans sending the correct command at the correct time. Not necessary at exactly the same time. As i said already. Sending a command via a driver is exactly the same as sending the command in themain program, only change is that your system becomes modular and easier to debug. Maybe you need special timing when one or both the instruments take their time. So my first question now is: what is the error when combining the two instruments?
Is it a timeout, then either the command is not correct or the expected number of characters or the end character is wrong.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,047 Views)