From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection of SR770 Network Analyzer with PC

Hi,

I have downloaded the drivers for the instrument, but im not getting what do i have to do after that....
I have copied the LLB file in instr.lib folder also.....How am i supposed to use the instrument through my computer and save the results in file??
do i have to make a new VI or can i use the EG.VI which i suppose is the main VI for the instrument library??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,984 Views)

The driver you download is an old driver. The VIs in that library allow you to set certain parameters. I don't know the full extent of the instrument's capabilities, but I'm guessing the driver library does not contain VIs to handle all of the parameters that can be set for the instrument. The SR770EG is a very poorly written example of a top-level VI. If you want to read data and save it to file you could simply add the write function to that example VI. For example, you could use the Write to Spreadsheet File VI to write to a tab-delimeted text file. This is a fairly simple modification. 

It sounds like you don't have much experience in writing code. Have you taken any of the LabVIEW tutorials? To learn more about LabVIEW it is recommended that you go through the introduction material, tutorial(s), and other material in the NI Developer Zone's Learning Center which provides links to other materials and other tutorials. You can also take the online courses for free.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,981 Views)

Where could i find the new driver? That was the only driver given on the NI site...
Also in whichVI should I add the write to spreadsheet?? in the main VI (SR770EG.VI) ?
and how can we use 2 instruments in parallel?? do you need to  modify the VI or you can just run it directly..??

im using GPIB

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,977 Views)

Unfortunately, this driver isnt written or supported by NI.  You may be able to find a newer version from whomever wrote this driver.  I assume that it was the manufacturer, but I am not sure.  Typically, when programming an instrument, the instrument comes with a programming manual that tells you how to control the instrument, and what commands to send.  The drivers are essentially nothing more than VIs the put a few of those calls together to make it easier for the user to get going.  So I would try to find the programming manual, and use it to help you understand what the VIs are doing.  Figure out what you want to save to file, and then you will know which VIs to add it to, or most likely after with the data as an input.  Using two instruments in parallel, i assume will just be giving them different GPIB addresses, and sending the commands to one then the other.  Whether or not the VIs need to be modified depends on what you are trying to do, if the writter of the driver didn't create the VIs in a way that meet your particular needs, you will need to make some modifications, and again the programming guide should prove valuable here. Good luck with your application.

Jensen
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,965 Views)