From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting NI PCIe to Beckman-Coulter System Gold HPLC

Hi, all,

I inherited a never before used Beckman-Coulter System Gold HPLC and the computer containing the NI PCIe card. Although I do have all of the original packaging and parts to get the HPLC up and running, I seem to be missing an adapter to connect the NI PCIe-GPIB board to the serial System Gold input on the Beckman-Coulter solvent module. Any advice on where to find what I need?

Thanks much!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,259 Views)
That does not make any sense to me. You would use a GPIB card to connect to an instrument with a GPIB interface. You would use an RS232 port on the pc to connect to an instrument with a serial port.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,248 Views)

That's the dilemma. All of the parts, etc. were still in their original boxes (including packing lists). The GPIB card is clearly indicated on the packing list and came preinstalled in the PC that was provided with the HPLC, yet there is no way to connect the card to the System Gold solvent module (without some sort of adapter?).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,237 Views)

If the PC has a serial port then you are all set. Just need to know whether the serial cable you need is straight-through or null modem.

If the PC does not have a serial port, then you'll need a USB to serial adapter.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,233 Views)
You obviously are unfamiliar with instrument control if you think you use some sort of adapter from a GPIB card in the pc. If the instrument is missing an option for GPIB control, you need to contact the vendor. For all that you know, the GPIB card could have been intended to control other instruments. How did you 'inherit' this system? Ask the person who ordered it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,225 Views)