Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Keithley Sourcemeter 2400 with computer to measure Resistance

Hi guys, I have a keithley sourcemeter 2400. I want to connect it to my computer to measure resistance for each 5 min interval. I want the output of it to be saved in either .txt format or any other readable format. Can anyone tell me in detailed regarding how to do it? P.S. I am new to sourcemeter and labview. Therefore, I don't have any knowledge regarding the both. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(9,264 Views)

What driver did you download, which hardware bus are you using?

You can read Voltage and Current when measuring.

Did you use 4 wires to connect?

What did you try yourself?

greetings from the Netherlands
Message 2 of 10
(9,255 Views)

I haven't downloaded anything yet. Planning to use Labview and RS232 port. I have no knowledge regarding the connection. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(9,248 Views)

make sure you use a straight cable (not a null modem cable)

A usb- to serial from ftdichip is also OK

download the labview driver from instrument drivers.net

http://search.ni.com/nisearch/app/main/p/ap/tech/lang/nl/pg/1/sn/ssnav:idr/

an test an example

Message 4 of 10
(9,246 Views)

Can you help me? I have almost the same problem. My teacher told me to work with 2400 SourceMeter and with 2182A Nanovoltmeter, and I never worked with anything like these. I googled everything that I found necessary. I installed LabView 17, NI Max, NI Visa, NI488.2 3.1.2, in my windows 7. Conecting 2400 SourceMeter and 2182A Nanovoltmeter with RS232-USB in my computer installed the drive automatically. After all these, when I open NI Max, it still not recognizing 2400 SourceMeter and 2182A Nanovoltmeter and I don't know what can I do.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(7,847 Views)

Check your RS232 cables, make sure its a straight cable.  Try another model of RS232-USB.  One of those should solve your problem.  You should see virtual com ports that you can use to communicate with the instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(7,824 Views)

Hi,

If the instruments are connected to an RS232 port they won't show up in NI-MAX. If you were using GPIB, USB or Ethernet the instrument would show up in Max.

It doesn't mean it's not working. Try opening up a visa session with the com port that the 2400 is connected to and send it a few commands and try to read back some data

Curt

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(7,822 Views)

Also,

If the instruments are newer models they might have a USB interface. You'll see a connector on the back that will accept a USB printer cable. If it does the device will show up in max looking something like this

"USB0::0x05E6::0x2400::4018686::INSTR"

Curt

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(7,820 Views)

I am also having same problem . 

I have SMU 2400 series and I want to connect it via GPIB-USB-HS. 

I have labview 2014. 

How can I communicate them?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,760 Views)

Does it have a gpib connector?

Can you send a picture of the back of the 2400, or the interfaces you see there?

Which year and software version is your machine?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,744 Views)