From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect to climate/temperature chamber in LabVIEW

Hi,

I'm sort of new to LabVIEW/a student and during my internship at a company I got an assignment to develop a remote control interface for the Weiss WT3 climate chamber for their tests. I'm using LabVIEW 2014 64-bit.

My previous experience in LabVIEW has been using the NI USB-6211 for remote controlling power supplies with analog voltage control and that is a bit more straight forward, I think.

Anyone with experience in this area that has any VIs that I can take a look at?

Here are some of the things I'm unsure of

• How to connect it physically? There are Ethernet, USB and RS232 connectors as far as I can see
  • Use the bundled software with LabVIEW or only use LabVIEW?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(8,818 Views)
You would use whatever physical connection you want/that the chamber supports. A brief look at their web site says rs-232 is standard with other others as options.

Your second question does not make much sense to me.

If you have the manual, please attach it. I don't see it on their web site for download.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(8,798 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if the question doesn't make sense. I'm trying to articulate myself as best as I can (english is not my native language).

What I meant was that the oven comes with some software bundled with it to control the chamber via Ethernet, and I was thinking whether or not I am supposed to make LabVIEW communicate with that software (internally on the PC) or I should focus on somehow communicating with the chamber directly from LabVIEW.

I have succesfully used the application for remote controlling the chamber (although it does its job poorly, and has a lot of problems)

Unfortunately I'm not certain the manual is even available as a digital version anywhere. I know I've search a lot on the Internet for it, but without results. I only have a hard copy in the lab.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(8,776 Views)
Controlling an exe can be difficult unless it has a published interface such as ActiveX. Since it doesn't do what you want, controlling the chamber directly from LabVIEW sounds like a better option. There are TCP/IP functions that you can use. This all assumes that the protocol for reading/writing is documented on the manual.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(8,762 Views)

Hello,

If you are looking for a pdf version of the protocol for rs232, please find the attached.

I can comminicate with the device(wt180/40) from labview. I am using rs232 interface to communicate to the device.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(8,653 Views)

sorry. forgot to attach the file. 😛

Message 6 of 17
(8,651 Views)
Since you say that can communicate, your problems are solved?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(8,639 Views)

I am looking for the same solution you can help me if you have found the solution

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(4,724 Views)

I'm looking for Weiss Chamber SB2/1000/40  LabView driver too

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,613 Views)

Hi

Did you contact Weiss already?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17