From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication to Vötsch oven

Hello, how to communicate to a Vötsch oven?

(in the past the name of the company was: "Haraeus Vötsch"     now: www.weiss-technik.com)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Eugen Wiebe
Bernstein AG
CLAD - Certified LabView Associate Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(8,625 Views)

In this attached document there are two communication protocols described: ASCII-1 or ASCII-2.

Most ovens, as I have seen, communicate over ASCII-2 (e.g. $00I<CR>)

Eugen Wiebe
Bernstein AG
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(8,623 Views)

This link can also be helpful:

http://www.basytec.de/applications/climate.pdf

Vötsch comms.jpg

Eugen Wiebe
Bernstein AG
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(8,621 Views)

If the oven has a RS232 (25pin) connector (like the VT4010 / VT4020) this is the pinout:vötsch 25pin pinout.jpg

Eugen Wiebe
Bernstein AG
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(8,618 Views)

In this operating manual also the communication method is described:

http://doc.es.aau.dk/fileadmin/doc.kom.aau.dk/labs_facillities/control/manuals/VT4002_climate_chambe...

It is equal for many Vötsch (Votsch) ovens.

similar:

Communication protocol of VC7xxx

Eugen Wiebe
Bernstein AG
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(8,612 Views)

Hello EWiebe,

thanks for sharing the informations. Do you had some additional questions?

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(8,565 Views)

Hello! With the info in this thread and some other posts on this forum I have successfully set up communication with a Vötsch Heraeus HC 4120 using RS-232 and the ASCII-2 protocol.

I can set and read the values in the $00I and $00E-commands but I cant find a way to actually turn the chamber on.

Do you have any information regarding how to turn the chamber on via RS-232?

Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(7,720 Views)

Perhaps this will help...

Eugen Wiebe
Bernstein AG
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(7,713 Views)

Thank you for the prompt answer!

The format in the document you sent is different from the one i tried before. I tried sending "$00E050.0 000.0 000011001 00 100 2 0 <CR> according to the document you sent and the chamber answered "0<LF>50.<CR>. It still didn't start.

And when sending "$00I<CR>" The chamber answers "0030.0 0022.5 0000.0 0037.7 0020.0 0167.7 0020.0 0167.7 0020.0 0167.7 0020.0 0167.7 0100.0 0000.0 000010000000000000000000000".

I have followed a printed operation manual I have here and I have scanned the protocol pages from it and attached to this post.

When I use the protocol found there, the chamber seems to work well and the messages fit the format. But I still cant find a way to actually activate the chamber.

The only options I seem to have is to send the E or the I-command, there is no command to start the chamber.

I have also tried sending the "Start program" command "$xxPyyyy<CR>" which I found somewhere on this forum. 

The chamber actually starts on that command but it runs some pre-defined program and ignores the value I sent using the E-command.

The chamber also does not answer to the "$00?<CR>" status message that I found some has been helped by.

I think it's strange that the starting of the chamber would be so hard when the settings work so well.

Is there a limitation in the protocol or something which inhibits starting of the chamber, or have I just missed the correct command?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(7,708 Views)

$xxPyyyy<CR>

With the ASCII-2 protocol, this is indeed the command to start an existing program of the chamber.

• xx : adress of the chamber
  • yyyy : number of the program (0 = stop). Obviously this program must exist in the memory of the chamber.

The chamber answers with 0<SPACE><CR> if the command was accepted.

• 0 --> 0x30
  • <SPACE> --> 0x20 (\s)
  • <CR> --> 0xD (\r)

Do you only want to start the chamber without running a predefined profile ?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(7,698 Views)