Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to GPIB-ENET/1000 from different subnet after network change.

The red light flashing means that the device is in Safe Mode, which has just enough functionality to be able to update the firmware. Usually the box would only enter Safe Mode if it detected that the firmware was corrupt, but by holding the button down for a very long time you manually forced it into Safe Mode. This will not harm your box in any way, but it will restore the factory default settings.

When you generated settings2.png, did you type the index.esp at the end of the URL, or did you enter the IP address and the URL updated itself? If the URL updated itself, that means there was at least some communication with the GPIB-ENET/1000.

As far as trying to determine what is going on, do you think that your IT people would be willing to help you perform a network capture of the traffic seen at the GPIB-ENET/1000 using Wireshark? This would allow us to see the request going to the box, and see how the box is trying to respond, to see what is going wrong. Hopefully your IT people will already be familiar with this process. The most important detail is that for the capture to work properly, the computer capturing must be connected to the GPIB-ENET/1000 through a hub, instead of a switch, or through a specially configured managed switch which can mirror traffic between two ports.

If you can get Wireshark up and running, I think that it would be sufficient to capture while visiting the ip address in your web browser from the remote subnet.

-Jason S.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,846 Views)

Hi Jason,

That is a great suggestion!

We will look into it.

Thanks!

Rudy

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,837 Views)

Rudy,

We have succeeded in reproducing the issue in R&D, so you will not need to perform any network captures. There appears to be a problem with the subnet mask being applied incorrectly after power-up. We are currently investigating what it will take to fix the issue, for now one possible workaround is to enable ARP Proxy on your subnet if supported by your router.

-Jason S.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,822 Views)

Rudy,

To follow up on the status of this, we have identified the cause of the problem, and we have fixed it internally. We will be releasing an updated firmware to resolve the issue, but I do not have an exact timeframe for its availability. Please let us know if you would be interested in evaluating a beta version of the firmware which resolves this issue.

-Jason S.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,803 Views)

Hi Jason,

That is great news! Thanks for all the hard work you and the others put in to figuring this out.

I'm sorry I was not able to get the packet captures to you in time.  I have been busy with other projects and travel.

I would be happy to try out the beta firmware. Can I download it or can you email it to my account email?

Thanks a bunch,

Rudy

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,776 Views)

Hi Rudy,

I have sent you a private forum message on how to receive the firmware update. To get to your message:

1. Click on your forum name at the top of the page:
PM Forums.JPG

2. Scroll down to the section titled Private Messages
PM Forums2.JPG

Let me know if you have any issues accessing the message.

--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,759 Views)

If you are running into this issue please see the following KnowledgeBase to request the beta firmware:

KB 5L3GL18Q: GPIB-ENET/1000 Cannot Be Accessed From Remote Subnet

--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,734 Views)

The beta mentioned above is now closed as a released version of the firmware is available for download here:

GPIB-ENET/1000 Firmware 1.0.1

If you are running into these issues, please download GPIB-ENET/1000 Firmware 1.0.1.

--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,692 Views)