Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get MAX to make a VISA connection to the computer that it resides on

I have LabVIEW loaded on to an Agilent 16801A logic analyzer computer.  I would like to use this very same LA in LabVIEW applications so I need MAX to recognize it.  If I try and connect to this LA from another computer on the same subnet using MAX then I have no issue.  Note that I am using a raw VISA setup connection using its IP address and port 80 (Web Server port).  However.... when I try and then get MAX on the LA to make a VISA connection to itself then I can not get the VISA connection and I get the error "Could not open a VISA session to "TCPIP0::*****::80::SOCKET".  VISA error code 0xBFFF0011. Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system".  Hmmm...  Similar issues in the past were a result of incorrect port used but here I have already shown that MAX can find this LA but only from ANOTHER computer on the same subnet.  Any thoughts on how I can get MAX to recognize the computer that it resides on is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,451 Views)

Using localhost ( 127.0.0.1) doesn't work either ?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,440 Views)

Unfortunately, it does not.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,436 Views)

Hello There,

What version of LabVIEW and VISA are you using?  Although addressing the local machine does not necessarily require being connected to a network, is the Logic Analyzer connected to a network?  Can you try to perform ipconfig in order to determine the exact IP address and use that value? 

Regards,
Roman Sandoval | National Instruments | RF Systems Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,406 Views)

I am using LabVIEW 2010, the latest VISA install and driver set, plus Agilent IO connection expert 14.2 (anecdotal discussions suggest that 14.2 is needed instead of 15.0).  I have also loaded the COM automation expert tool on to the com[uter.  I have tried both local host and the IP address given by the server (defined with an ipconfig) and all still is not working.  Weird in that the LA can not VISA connection to itself but it can conect to another computer and other computers can sonnect to it.  Hmmm...  Thanks for your thoughts..

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,403 Views)

Why do you have any Agilent software installed? It's certainly not necessary and by installing it, you may have set Agilent's version of VISA as the primary whuch could cause problems with MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,393 Views)