Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Load Tulip

I've been trying for the last week or so to get Labview (7.1) to work with an HP-Agilent-Keysite 82350A GPIB under Windows XP.

I've read through a lot of the Forum posts and gleaned some valuable information but still no joy. My understanding is that I need to install the HP driver and then load the Tulip passport in MAX to allow Labview to recognize the card. I have done these things to no avail. I have also swapped-out the 82350A card, suspecting that it was defective, and rebooted more times than I can remember.

The 82350A card is connected to two instruments, a 3014A Tek scope and a 34970A HP measurement MUX. Both instruments advise that they have active GPIB addresses during power-up. I've tried using one or both at different times and swapped out the cables as well.

The system/hardware path in XP shows the card installed and enabled, the driver tab shows the HP driver is installed and recognized.

When I try to look at the card and instruments in Labview, I get the message that Tulip cannot be loaded.

I have attached a .doc file that shows screenshots of MAX and XP/system/hardware in hopes someone may see something I've missed. The images are a little small but the resolution is good so a zoom makes the screenshots quite legible.

I would be grateful for any assistance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,664 Views)

Even though it is about a different Agilent product, try http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F7C187DBF09EBE1186256F550065BD32

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,659 Views)

Thanks NYC, I already discovered that post during my research.

It advises opening passports and checking the Tulip box which I did (see screenshots) and enabling NI-VISA as primary. The HP-IO screenshot shows the Keysite VISA is, indeed, secondary.

Thanks for trying, tho'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,654 Views)
What version of NI-VISA are you trying to use? LabVIEW 7.1 is ancient and if you are trying to use the version of VISA that came with that, I would expect problems.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,643 Views)

Dennis,

Thanks for your thoughts. I am certainly using the NI-VISA that came with 7.1 since that's all I've got at this time. My reasoning was that all my equipment is roughly the same vintage, so they outght to play well together. However, over the weekend I did some more research and found that the datasheet for the 82350A card does not specify that it will work with XP. It talks about previous OS's like ME, 98, and 95 but not XP. Even tho' XP recognizes the card and says its operating properly, I wonder if there's another problem. XP is probably only saying that it sees the card and can communicate with it, but it has no way of knowing if the card is actually performing its function.

At the risk of angering the NI Forum Gods, I'll probably start another thread asking if anyone has gotten an "A" card to work with XP.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,599 Views)
Your driver from Keysight seems to be much more recent, though, with a date of 2014 and it says keysight and not hp or agilent. So, you updated one driver but not the other. I think you will have issues with that but I don't think downloading a recent version of NI-VISA will work with your ancient version of LabVIEW.

I guess your first task is to simply verify that you can communicate with the keysight device. Their connection manager will let you do that.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,596 Views)

Yes, I considered that as well and had previously tried a much earlier version (15.5, I think it was) that mentioned the "A" version of the card in its description.

Still, you're right, it is obviously some kind of compatability issue.

If i can't get it resolved soon, management is gonna have to bite the bullet and spring for some new stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,594 Views)

I had to get the Agilent 82357A to work with LabVIEW 6.1 in Windows 8.1

I was able to get it to work with NI-VISA 5.4.1 and NI-488.2 3.1.1

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,590 Views)

Thanks for that NYC. At least I know it can be done. We probably won't use 8.1, more likely 7. I'm leaning toward just getting an NI-GPIB card and move on, the cost of dithering with this thing is beginning to outstrip the cost of a new card.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,580 Views)

@Kilo_Watts wrote:

Thanks for that NYC. At least I know it can be done. We probably won't use 8.1, more likely 7. I'm leaning toward just getting an NI-GPIB card and move on, the cost of dithering with this thing is beginning to outstrip the cost of a new card.

After having to deal with Tulip at my previous job because of the 82357A and 82357B, I have promised myself that if I ever have a say in which GPIB product to purchase, I would insist on buying NI especially if using LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,565 Views)