Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can communicate with NI-USB GPB but not via Ethernet to Agilent E8358 via NI-MAx 21 or Labview 2021

Hi Community,

I have in my Lab a old Agilent Networtkanalyzer E8358A with Labview 2021 running via NI USB-GPIB adapter without issues with NI.-Max  and Labview 2021.

In a Windows 11, DOS Shell I can ping it with the TCP/IP (192.168.178.10) also without issues and can transfer data from the Agilent file system to the Windows 10 PC also with no problems.

But to improve the Data transfer speed I want use the Ethernet Interface in Labview or NI-Max programms but without success, under NI-Max it is not detected properly and I don't know why.

Also a right click in NI max on the newwork divice will not open the VISA test panel.

Maybe can someone give me a hint where I must enable or do something else to commuicate via TCP/IP with Labview.

Best regards

antenna guy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,277 Views)

You can try to see if you can PING it in the shell.Which version of VISA do you have.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,258 Views)

Sorry, you can ping it. I missed it

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,257 Views)

Probably the reason why communication is not possible is that the LAN device name is blank.
The standard LAN device name for communicating with VXI-11 is inst0 for most measuring instruments.

NI-MAX : Devive and Interface -> Network Device -> Right Click -> Create New VISA TCP/IP Resource -> Manual Entry of LAN Instrument -> Next -> IP address : 192.168.178.10 LAN device name : inst0 -> next -> finish

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,242 Views)

Hello,

also with Lan device Name inst0  is not working or detecting in NI-Max.

See attached picture, of NI Max screenshot it works with GPIB Adress 16 without issues via NI-USB-GPIB Adapter.

Also in the Windows shell I can ping via Ethernet to 192.168.178.10 without issues (see picture)

The NI Max has Version 21.0.0f0

More hints what I can try ?

thx

antenna guy

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,226 Views)

When I searched for and read the manual on the Web, it seems that the E835xA does not have the VXI-11 function, and only Socket communication can be used on the LAN.

Change the newly created network resource to Raw Socket and try again.

(The port number is 5025.)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,211 Views)

Hi,

thank you for you help it works a little bit with the Port  if I installed from scratch (delete the old one in NI Max).

See attached first picture, after that prodedure I saw the whole stuff in NI-Max working.

If I reboot the Windows 10 PC again and restart NI-Max again than it didn't work see picture 2.

Do you have additional tip that it work permanently also after reboot the Windows PC ?

Thank you

antenna_guy

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,197 Views)