From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can communicate with NI-USB GPB but not via Ethernet to Agilent E8358 via NI-MAx 21 or Labview 2021

Hi Community,

I have in my Lab a old Agilent Networtkanalyzer E8358A with Labview 2021 running via NI USB-GPIB adapter without issues with NI.-Max  and Labview 2021.

In a Windows 11, DOS Shell I can ping it with the TCP/IP (192.168.178.10) also without issues and can transfer data from the Agilent file system to the Windows 10 PC also with no problems.

But to improve the Data transfer speed I want use the Ethernet Interface in Labview or NI-Max programms but without success, under NI-Max it is not detected properly and I don't know why.

Also a right click in NI max on the newwork divice will not open the VISA test panel.

Maybe can someone give me a hint where I must enable or do something else to commuicate via TCP/IP with Labview.

Best regards

antenna guy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,326 Views)

You can try to see if you can PING it in the shell.Which version of VISA do you have.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,307 Views)

Sorry, you can ping it. I missed it

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,306 Views)

Probably the reason why communication is not possible is that the LAN device name is blank.
The standard LAN device name for communicating with VXI-11 is inst0 for most measuring instruments.

NI-MAX : Devive and Interface -> Network Device -> Right Click -> Create New VISA TCP/IP Resource -> Manual Entry of LAN Instrument -> Next -> IP address : 192.168.178.10 LAN device name : inst0 -> next -> finish

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,291 Views)

Hello,

also with Lan device Name inst0  is not working or detecting in NI-Max.

See attached picture, of NI Max screenshot it works with GPIB Adress 16 without issues via NI-USB-GPIB Adapter.

Also in the Windows shell I can ping via Ethernet to 192.168.178.10 without issues (see picture)

The NI Max has Version 21.0.0f0

More hints what I can try ?

thx

antenna guy

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,275 Views)

When I searched for and read the manual on the Web, it seems that the E835xA does not have the VXI-11 function, and only Socket communication can be used on the LAN.

Change the newly created network resource to Raw Socket and try again.

(The port number is 5025.)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,260 Views)

Hi,

thank you for you help it works a little bit with the Port  if I installed from scratch (delete the old one in NI Max).

See attached first picture, after that prodedure I saw the whole stuff in NI-Max working.

If I reboot the Windows 10 PC again and restart NI-Max again than it didn't work see picture 2.

Do you have additional tip that it work permanently also after reboot the Windows PC ?

Thank you

antenna_guy

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,246 Views)