Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use an ethernet cable to connect an old FTIR spectrometer to a PC

Hi,

I have aquired an old Perkin Elmer Spectrum 2000 FT-IR spectrometer. The cable for connecting our Spectrum 2000 FTIR spectrometer to a computer is missing. Do you know if it would be possible for me to connect a PC to the instrument using an Ethernet cable?

I've attached a photograph of the PC cable socket at the back of the instrument and notes from the manual.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could provide some advice.

Thanks,

Jo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,409 Views)

Jo,

1. This Board is for discussion of the operation of the Forum itself, not technical discussions about specific equipment.

2. What does your qeustion have to do with NI hardware or software?

3. That does not look like any Ethernet cable I have ever seen. Does the manual specifiy that the connection is Ethernet?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,400 Views)

Where on the PC is the other end of the cable supposed to connect? I also seriously doubt this is ethernet. It is either serial or it connects to a custom interface board plugged into the motherboard (ISA, PCI, etc).

Of course it is probably a simple signal cable, so if you have the end connectors and wiring diagram, you could potentially use a lenght of plain ethernet cable with a little bit of soldering work. 😉 It won't be ethernet. ;D

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,395 Views)

Thanks for your response and answering my query. I apologise for posting my technical question in the wrong place!

According to the manual, both end of the cable (which I unfortunately don't have and Perkin Elmer don't seem to supply it anymore) are fitted with the same type of connector. Looks like a circular male connector (6 contacts)....I'll try to get hold of the correct connectors so that I can hopefully link the instrument to a PC!

Cheers,

Jo

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,381 Views)

JoCloy wrote:

According to the manual, both end of the cable (which I unfortunately don't have and Perkin Elmer don't seem to supply it anymore) are fitted with the same type of connector. Looks like a circular male connector (6 contacts)....I'll try to get hold of the correct connectors so that I can hopefully link the instrument to a PC!

A typical PC does not have a connector like that.

Do you have a special interface board on the PC? Do you have any software to control the instrument?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,353 Views)