Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can 8 units of USB-6509 work at the same time using USB hub connected to one PC?

Dear,

I currently using 2 units of USB-6509 and Labview 8.5 which works fine by defining two DAQ assistant in my Labview program. For the new system, we are going to use 8 units of USB-6509, will they work at the same time by connecting all of them to one PC using USB hub?

Thank you,

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,584 Views)

At that point, I would be more inclined to go with the PXI route.  It would be a lot more reliable.  I do not trust USB for test systems.  I have had way too many issues.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,563 Views)

The answer is yes, but probably not in the manner that you are thinking.  All of the USB-6509 devices will work; however, it comes with a limitation.  These devices will not be able to work simultaneously as only one can be addressed at a time.  They will work and require some programming and a latency understanding as there is only a single USB port that gets distributed out to each hub, port, mouse, keyboard,... all share.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,558 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

At that point, I would be more inclined to go with the PXI route.  It would be a lot more reliable.  I do not trust USB for test systems.  I have had way too many issues.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I checked PXI solutions, including chassis, controllers. For working with a laptop, it either needs a PCI express card or a thunderbolt 3 port. Unfortunately my laptop has none of these ports.  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,546 Views)

It all depends on the speed and accuracy that you need.

What are the specs?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,513 Views)

Dear,

Thank you. My specs is not that strict. I need all 8 units of USB6509's Digital IO to be refreshed every 1mS. There's a while loop, within the loop, 8 "write task" is assigned to each of the USB6059. I need each iteration of the loop to be completed within 1mS. In considering connecting all of the 8 units of USB6509 in a USB hub which connects to my laptop. Each USB6509 has 96 digital IO output needs to be refreshed.

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,505 Views)

If you insist on sticking with USB, then get an industrial hub with plenty of power capability, including an external power supply.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,479 Views)

@JiaLiGenmark wrote:

Dear,

Thank you. My specs is not that strict. I need all 8 units of USB6509's Digital IO to be refreshed every 1mS. There's a while loop, within the loop, 8 "write task" is assigned to each of the USB6059. I need each iteration of the loop to be completed within 1mS.  

Are you using a real-time system?  If you are dependent on a windows-based machine, your loop times will occasionally exceed your 1mS requirements.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,471 Views)

Minions wrote: If you are dependent on a windows-based machine, your loop times will occasionally exceed your 1mS requirements.

From what I am quickly finding out on the web, the latency of the USB communication could be in the 1ms range.  So there are many problems with the current requirements.  I see this as another reason to go with PXI, where the latency will be in the sub-us range.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,467 Views)

@Minions wrote:

@JiaLiGenmark wrote:

Dear,

Thank you. My specs is not that strict. I need all 8 units of USB6509's Digital IO to be refreshed every 1mS. There's a while loop, within the loop, 8 "write task" is assigned to each of the USB6059. I need each iteration of the loop to be completed within 1mS.  

Are you using a real-time system?  If you are dependent on a windows-based machine, your loop times will occasionally exceed your 1mS requirements.

Thank you. I am using windows. If it only happens occasionally, it's OK for my application.

Your first reply triggers me to order 8 of USB6509 and give a try. I will keep this post updated when I get any results.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,457 Views)