From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Inst. drivers

What is the best way to go about getting/building a driver for a California Instruments AC Power Source

Manufacturer: California
Instrument Type: Power Source
Model No: PSeries (1001P)
Developement Environment: labVIEW 7.0
Technology: ?
Interface: Serial RS232

Anybody who may have these drivers or advice pointing me in the right direction please let me know. I am new to labview so any help will be great. Thanks in advance.

Also I have already searched for the driver within NI with no luck. So I may have to build it, which right now seems like an overwelming task for a beginner?!?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,751 Views)
I did a search and found one this one. It's poorly written, doesn't use VISA, and has some very ugly front panels but it's a starting point. The first thing to do with this is to convert it to VISA so that you can use it with RS-232. That's not that hard to do. Replace the GPIB Send/Receive Messages in CIC_WRT and CIC_W_R.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,740 Views)
Thats not the instrument I am looking for.

http://www.calinst.com/pseries.html

This instrument is simple; only 5 controls.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,732 Views)
And the fact that I said it was a starting point was worth 1 star? With only 5 controls (a fact I was not aware from your original post), it shouldn't take you more than an hour or two to write the driver on your own.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,727 Views)
As I said before I am a LabView beginner. Every example driver I get seems to be so over complicated to the point where i dont know what the hell is going on and therefore doesn't help me at all. I am not on a tight time frame and i am looking for a push in the right direction. Basically i was introduced to labview about a month ago, wrote one vi which uses the printer port to control a transistor which in turn controls a relay and now I have been asked to write a driver for this peace of equipment. Which sounds easy but everything i look at has 20 something over complicated sub VIs which throws me for a loop. So I'm just a little frustrated and looking for just a little push. I do appreciate the help, thanks again
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,723 Views)
You might want to give the Instrument I/O Assistant a try. The version that comes with LabVIEW 8 is especially useful. The You'll need to study the instrument's porgamming manual and I would recomend you try the commnds in MAX to get an idea of how they work.
Message 6 of 8
(3,714 Views)

Personally I rarely use instrument drivers.

I download the instrument's manual and read the section about the GPIB commands.

Then I use MAX to test it out to make sure the commands do what I want them to, then I program the VIs.

Message 7 of 8
(3,710 Views)
Here is a driver I wrote for the CI1501L.
Andrew Alford
Production Test Engineering Technologist
Sustainable Energy Technologies
www.sustainableenergy.com
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,695 Views)