Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent B2902A precision source unit doesn't work anymore since firmware update

Hi everyone,

I developped a program with Labview 2014 to control a precision source/measure unit, the Agilent B2902A. Basicaly, it just gets intensity values from the source itself and messages from serial port from another instrument and save them in excel files. Everything worked great but I since I updated the B2902A firmware, my program doesn't work anymore. 

It keeps being blocked trying to initialize the connexion between the pc and the instrument. The instrument is still recognize by the pc. I tried many other "example programs" but none works.

Has someone already got this problem? Do you have any idea about where could this problem come from? 

Thank you for your help !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,526 Views)

Hi Oxydroid,

Would you please grab the communication between PC and device via NI IO Trace?

Thanks,

Charles.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,518 Views)

Here we go ! 
I hope this is enough, it is the first time I use this tool. Then my VI crashed and nothing happened on my instrument.

[EDIT: I added another picture. I thouhgt it was over, but it wasn't]

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,512 Views)

According to the specs the Agilent B2902A supports "both  conventional and default SCPI commands" . It might be that the firmware update did switch the type of SCPI commands to be used and you have to switch it back now.  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(5,508 Views)
Did Keysight explain what the firmware update did? It hasn't been Agilent for quite some time and they've been updating firmware to eliminate the Agilent name. NI is busy updating drivers to reflect the change in an idn query. Did the vid and pid change? What is your code doing? Did you hardcode the VISA Resource Name? Can you attach a MAX screenshot that shows the instrument?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,490 Views)

@mkossmann I checked SCPI language type and it is the good one

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,464 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson,

I attached to my message the release note of the firmware update.

I didn't understand your question about vid and pid. I am quite a beginner with all of this.

My labview program is doing 2 things: 
1) Get and store messages from a serial port from a device into a text file.

2) Measure current consumption through the Agilent B2902A:  In a while loop, the current measure is done and every 2 seconds, the last measure is stored in an excel file. 
No, I didn't hardcode the VISA Resource Name, I let the ones proposed by labview. I just chose it in the listview updated by labview (the only one that start by USB0::

What's a "MAX screenshot"?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,460 Views)
MAX is Measurement and Automation Explorer. The same place you started I/O Trace. You should see your com port and the USBTMC instrument there. You can right click and open the VISA communicator from there.

They did change the manufacturer's name to Keysight.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,445 Views)

Dennis_Knutson,

Please find the screenshot attached. I am not sure if it is what you expected. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,435 Views)
Everything looks fine in MAX. I'm not sure what the problem could be. Can you attach an image of your block diagram?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,418 Views)