Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 34410 IVI driver acces to front/rear switch state

Hi,

I'm using the Ag34410 IVI instrument driver in a Labwindows/CVI application.
I cant' figure out how to access the attribute that indicates the position of the front panel switch that determines whether the front or rear panel test probe terminals are in use.

I don't see this attribute listed under any of the GetAttributeVIxxxx(...) commands.

Here's an excerpt from Agilent 34410A Programmers Reference that defines the attribute:

Syntax
ROUTe:TERMinals?

Description
This command queries the 34410A/34411A multimeter to determine whether the front or rear input terminals are selected (via the front/rear switch on the front panel).

Example
The following query returns the current state of the 34410A/34411A front/rear switch (the set of input terminals selected).

ROUT:TERM?

Typical Response:  "FRON"

Did I miss something?

Is there some way to directly issue the above SCPI command via the IVI instrument driver?

Thanks,
Kirk

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,679 Views)

Hi,

The command is already included in the driver

/*- HP34401A_ATTR_TERMINAL_ROUTE -*/

static ViStatus _VI_FUNC hp34401aAttrTerminalRoute_ReadCallback (ViSession vi,
                                                                ViSession io,
                                                                ViConstString channelName,
                                                                ViAttr attributeId,
                                                                ViInt32 *value)
{
    ViStatus    error = VI_SUCCESS;
    ViChar      rdBuffer[10];
    size_t     rdBufferSize = sizeof(rdBuffer);

viCheckErr( viPrintf (io, ":ROUT:TERM?;"));
    viCheckErr( viScanf (io, "%#s", &rdBufferSize, rdBuffer));

/* Need to only check only the first character of the return string. */
    if (rdBuffer[0] == 'F')
        *value = HP34401A_VAL_TERMINAL_FRONT;
    else                                      
        *value = HP34401A_VAL_TERMINAL_REAR;

Error:
    return error;
}

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,663 Views)

I'm using the 34410 driver not the 34401 driver.

The function I assume I would use would be:

ViStatus Ag34410_GetAttributeViString (ViSession Vi, ViConstString RepCapIdentifier,  ViAttr AttributeID,  ViInt32 AttributeValueBufferSize,  ViChar _VI_FAR     AttributeValue[]);

Trouble is when I look through the constans for the AttributeID argument, I don't find HP34410A_ATTR_TERMINAL_ROUTE.

Maybe they left it out of the 34410 version of the driver.

You can see that HP34401A_ATTR_TERMINAL_ROUTE is in the 34401 header but not in the 34410 header that I am using.

I tried to attach the 2 header files "Ag34410.h"  and "hp34401a.h" to this post so you can take a look for yourself  but I kept getting the message:

Please correct the highlighted errors and try again  

• The attachment's content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Kirk

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,658 Views)

The NI IVI specific driver supports 34401, 34410, 34411, and L4411. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,646 Views)

Kirk,

You are probably using Agilent's IVI-COM driver with an IVI-C wrapper which might not include this attribute. On our web site, ni.com/idnet, you can find a native IVI-C driver for use in LabWindows/CVI. Here is the link:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=E3B19B3E9419659CE034080020E748...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,632 Views)

Yes, I'm using the driver that was supplied on CD with the meter.

I just posted a support question to Agilent to see what they say.

I'll take a look at the NI driver.

One complication:  I'll have to figure out how to update a system that has been shipped to a customer.  Not sure if there is a "hands off" way for our customer to install the new driver.

Kirk

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,630 Views)