From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 34410 IVI driver acces to front/rear switch state

Hi,

I'm using the Ag34410 IVI instrument driver in a Labwindows/CVI application.
I cant' figure out how to access the attribute that indicates the position of the front panel switch that determines whether the front or rear panel test probe terminals are in use.

I don't see this attribute listed under any of the GetAttributeVIxxxx(...) commands.

Here's an excerpt from Agilent 34410A Programmers Reference that defines the attribute:

Syntax
ROUTe:TERMinals?

Description
This command queries the 34410A/34411A multimeter to determine whether the front or rear input terminals are selected (via the front/rear switch on the front panel).

Example
The following query returns the current state of the 34410A/34411A front/rear switch (the set of input terminals selected).

ROUT:TERM?

Typical Response:  "FRON"

Did I miss something?

Is there some way to directly issue the above SCPI command via the IVI instrument driver?

Thanks,
Kirk

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,674 Views)

Hi,

The command is already included in the driver

/*- HP34401A_ATTR_TERMINAL_ROUTE -*/

static ViStatus _VI_FUNC hp34401aAttrTerminalRoute_ReadCallback (ViSession vi,
                                                                ViSession io,
                                                                ViConstString channelName,
                                                                ViAttr attributeId,
                                                                ViInt32 *value)
{
    ViStatus    error = VI_SUCCESS;
    ViChar      rdBuffer[10];
    size_t     rdBufferSize = sizeof(rdBuffer);

viCheckErr( viPrintf (io, ":ROUT:TERM?;"));
    viCheckErr( viScanf (io, "%#s", &rdBufferSize, rdBuffer));

/* Need to only check only the first character of the return string. */
    if (rdBuffer[0] == 'F')
        *value = HP34401A_VAL_TERMINAL_FRONT;
    else                                      
        *value = HP34401A_VAL_TERMINAL_REAR;

Error:
    return error;
}

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,658 Views)

I'm using the 34410 driver not the 34401 driver.

The function I assume I would use would be:

ViStatus Ag34410_GetAttributeViString (ViSession Vi, ViConstString RepCapIdentifier,  ViAttr AttributeID,  ViInt32 AttributeValueBufferSize,  ViChar _VI_FAR     AttributeValue[]);

Trouble is when I look through the constans for the AttributeID argument, I don't find HP34410A_ATTR_TERMINAL_ROUTE.

Maybe they left it out of the 34410 version of the driver.

You can see that HP34401A_ATTR_TERMINAL_ROUTE is in the 34401 header but not in the 34410 header that I am using.

I tried to attach the 2 header files "Ag34410.h"  and "hp34401a.h" to this post so you can take a look for yourself  but I kept getting the message:

Please correct the highlighted errors and try again  

• The attachment's content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Kirk

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,653 Views)

The NI IVI specific driver supports 34401, 34410, 34411, and L4411. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,641 Views)

Kirk,

You are probably using Agilent's IVI-COM driver with an IVI-C wrapper which might not include this attribute. On our web site, ni.com/idnet, you can find a native IVI-C driver for use in LabWindows/CVI. Here is the link:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=E3B19B3E9419659CE034080020E748...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,627 Views)

Yes, I'm using the driver that was supplied on CD with the meter.

I just posted a support question to Agilent to see what they say.

I'll take a look at the NI driver.

One complication:  I'll have to figure out how to update a system that has been shipped to a customer.  Not sure if there is a "hands off" way for our customer to install the new driver.

Kirk

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,625 Views)