From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 1100 syntax error

Hello.
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place...

I'm trying to hook up an Agilent 1100 system to a computer via ethernet and control it through labview with the ag1100 drivers.
I've managed to get the computer to talk to the system and assign it an IP-address but when I run the pump example VI it returns "Error 10000501 syntax error".

I haven't been able to find and documentation about this error code and since it's a proprietary driver I cannot open up the VI that's causing the trouble (the configure pump one). The pump in the system is a G1311A that should be supported by the drivers.

Very thankful for any kind of help, I'm totally stuck here...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 28
(5,175 Views)

I am assuming you are referring to the drivers here. You will need to find out which VI is causing the error. Run the VI in highligh mode and single-step over each VI to see which one is causing the error. Unfortunately, Agilent locked all of those VIs, so you cannot see the block diagram. Thus, in order to find out what commands it's actually trying to send out you'd need to use something like Wireshark to see what's actually being sent over the ethernet port. You could also see if Agilent is willing to unlock those VIs. I fail to see the purpose in locking them.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 28
(5,160 Views)

Thanks for the answer.

That's exactly the ones I'm using. The VI that's causing trouble is the "ag1100 Configure Pump.vi".

Could it have something to do with the firmware of the pump do you think? I'm running 5.01 and it's only been tested with 5.09 according to the readme.

I was also thinking about sniffing the traffic out of the ethernet port to be able to see what is sent, but the problem is that I have no idea about the correct syntax :(.

Looks like I may have to contact Agilent after all...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 28
(5,157 Views)

I can't tell you if it's related to the firmware. I have no experience with that pump and even if I did I couldn't answer the question since there's no way to know from the VIs what commands it's sending out. As for the correct syntax, that would all be defined in the programming manual for the device.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28
(5,151 Views)

did you get any further with this?

I am experiencing the same communication, i cannot read from the instrument.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 28
(4,980 Views)

Hi

Actually I did, totally forgot to post the solution over here though...

After sniffing the network traffic I found out that one variable was sent with a comma as decimal marker instead of a dot. It turned out that in the drivers one variable was not locked and used regional settings for decimal markers.

I did not find a way to fix it since the error is in the proprietary drivers but a workaround is to just change the regional settings in windows so that the decimal markers used are dots and not commas.

Hope this will help you with your problem as well, I know how frustrating it can be when things don't work as they should 😛

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 28
(4,974 Views)

Thank you so much!!! Smiley Tongue

good thinking!

I purchased refurbished equipment without really knowing that i could control it with labview, seeing the error and knowing that the VI's are locked leaves pure frustration 🙂

I am going to try this on monday, i am really crossing my fingers 😄

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 28
(4,969 Views)

Actually i had a reading problem, but this was also cured by switching regional settings.

thanks so much!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 28
(4,948 Views)

Can I ask exactly what regional settings you used?  I have the exact same problem, but I tried changing them, and the problem is persisting.  Is there something I'm missing here?

Regional Settings.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 28
(4,743 Views)
Get rid of the grouping symbol.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 28
(4,734 Views)