Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aeroflex spectrum analyzer/sweeper 6825

I'm looking at communications with an Aeroflex 6825 Spectrum analyser, it is a new project I am working with and I haven't even had a chance to try it out.  I am using LabVIEW 7.1 right now and I am wondering if it is worth wild or my best interest to Upgrade to 8.5...is the I/O wizard that much better or are there any other functions that I will be able to perfrom in 8.5 that are not covered in 7.1.  A littlee background is that I plan on using the USB to GPIB interface to access the Aeroflex unit.  Also most of the commands I will be seding it are all front panel operations such as adjust frequency and dB gain, etc. 

This is my first GPIB project what should I expect?

Thanks,
Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,046 Views)

You might want to first try the driver here. Use the import CVI driver tool (Tools>Instrumentation).

LabVIEW 8.x has the Create Instrument Driver Poject wizard and this creates an instrument project based on a tmeplate or an existing driver. The VIs it creates are typical of what you might need (i.e. Configure Trace, Configure Marker, Read Trace, etc), and if you've nver created a driver before, will save you a bit of time. The VIs do have some SCPI functions but you will still have to do quite a bit of writing code in order to implement the commands that your instrument actually uses.

Other than that, there is no difference between the VISA functions in 7.1 and 8.5. I do think the upgrade to 8.5 is worth it for a lot of other reasons.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,038 Views)
Hello caunchman,

You can take a look at this presentation if you want more information about upgrading to 8.5.

Have a great weekend.
O. Proulx
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,021 Views)