From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing PCI-GPIB Card causes segentation fault when using Asus P8Z68-V Motherboard

I have a PCI-GPIB card that I was using in a Core2 Quad machine running CentOS 5.7. I bought an ASUS P8Z68-V motherboard with a Core i7 CPU and installed CentOS 6. I installed the NI-488.2 for Linux driver version 2.9. Everything compiled and installed without a problem and the nikal.ko module loads fine. But, when I try to access the GPIB card I get a segmentation fault. I wrote a simple c program as follows:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <ni488.h>
#include <string.h>

int main(){
   static int      ud;
   char *init = "*IDN?";
   int er;

if (ud = ibdev(0,22,0,13,1,0)) {
      er = ibwrt(ud, init, strlen(init) +1);
   }

return 0;
}

When the ibwrt command executes the program exists with the following

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

However, when I use gpibintctrl i can read and write without any problems. This behavior ocurred before I did any updates to CentOS and continues after all the available updates have been installed.

The kernel version I am using at this point is 2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.i686 with mem=512M set as a kernel option.

The device I am connected to is an HP 3457A Multimeter with an address of 22.

I have read that the Asmedia pci bridge can cause some problems with pci devices but I don't think that is a problem here since I can execute the commands just fine inside of gpibintctrl. I have also had success installing and using a NI-PCI-VXI card on this same system.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,825 Views)

Segmentation faults can sometimes be caused by a mismatch in array sizes for a particular function. In your ibwrt command, you have the input "strlen(init)+1". So that function is expecting an array of size 6, but is actually receiving an array of size 5. If you take out the '+1', how does that affect the program?

Does the error message say anything beyond "Segmentation Fault (core dumped)"?

Also, you say that the gpibintctrl works correctly, do you have a simple c program using that uses that function so we can compare the two?

Peter E
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,807 Views)