Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing PCI-GPIB Card causes segentation fault when using Asus P8Z68-V Motherboard

I have a PCI-GPIB card that I was using in a Core2 Quad machine running CentOS 5.7. I bought an ASUS P8Z68-V motherboard with a Core i7 CPU and installed CentOS 6. I installed the NI-488.2 for Linux driver version 2.9. Everything compiled and installed without a problem and the nikal.ko module loads fine. But, when I try to access the GPIB card I get a segmentation fault. I wrote a simple c program as follows:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <ni488.h>
#include <string.h>

int main(){
   static int      ud;
   char *init = "*IDN?";
   int er;

if (ud = ibdev(0,22,0,13,1,0)) {
      er = ibwrt(ud, init, strlen(init) +1);
   }

return 0;
}

When the ibwrt command executes the program exists with the following

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

However, when I use gpibintctrl i can read and write without any problems. This behavior ocurred before I did any updates to CentOS and continues after all the available updates have been installed.

The kernel version I am using at this point is 2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.i686 with mem=512M set as a kernel option.

The device I am connected to is an HP 3457A Multimeter with an address of 22.

I have read that the Asmedia pci bridge can cause some problems with pci devices but I don't think that is a problem here since I can execute the commands just fine inside of gpibintctrl. I have also had success installing and using a NI-PCI-VXI card on this same system.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,828 Views)

Segmentation faults can sometimes be caused by a mismatch in array sizes for a particular function. In your ibwrt command, you have the input "strlen(init)+1". So that function is expecting an array of size 6, but is actually receiving an array of size 5. If you take out the '+1', how does that affect the program?

Does the error message say anything beyond "Segmentation Fault (core dumped)"?

Also, you say that the gpibintctrl works correctly, do you have a simple c program using that uses that function so we can compare the two?

Peter E
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,810 Views)