Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

946 Vacuum System Controller

Hi,

I need to connect a MKS 946 Vacuum System Controller using Labview software to be able to program (automate)it. My aim is to be able to define programs to open and close a throttle valve (connected to 946 controller) based on the pressure readings. MKS people could not help me because its a pretty new instrument. I really appreciate it if someone help me to find a start point.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,839 Views)

Hello!

I found something useful in the 946 Vacuum System Controller website. It says it features "RS232/485 computer control standard in all configurations for ease of system integration."

this document can give you an idea of what you need to do: https://www.ni.com/getting-started/set-up-hardware/instrument-control/serial-connect

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,782 Views)

I am also having the same query. I want to connect the 946 vacuum system controller through LabVIEW using an RS232 cable to control the MFC.

do any have

1. Labview driver for 946 controllers please send the link to download.

2. If not, then can we connect the MFC  directly through RJ45 LAN (please provide an example program if anyone have).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,616 Views)

You should just need the NI Serial driver. The version that you need will depend on the version of LabVIEW that you have. That won't be a driver specifically for the 946, but will allow you to do what you need.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,598 Views)

hello,

I am trying to control MKS GE50A through MKS 946 Vacuum System Controller using LabVIEW. the connector I am using is RS232 to USB. can you provide a simple program for this. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,513 Views)

If you look at the manual here,  then chapter 8.5 and later should help you to understand the commands/queries that will need to be sent to configure the system properly.  It does not follow the SCPI protocol. 

If you have further questions, provide the LabVIEW code that you have written along with what you are trying to achieve and the errors that you might be having during the process.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,504 Views)

Hello,

Please find the Program Link. If you have any idea about the MKS 946 Vacuum System Controller then, please make an attempt to resolve the issue(unable to change the setpoint of MFC)as mentioned in the earlier.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,390 Views)

It looks to me from the manual that the QSP command is expecting a parameter of format "d.dd E+ee", while yours is formatted as "d.ddE+e". Try changing the parameter after the exclamation point to "1.00 E+02" to see if that helps. Also make sure that your address of 253 is correct.

C. Weeks
Product Support Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,371 Views)

I have edited the command as suggested but still, the problem is same after running the program

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,349 Views)

In order to make sure that the NI part of things is working, I would try performing a loopback test on your serial interface, following this article: http://www.ni.com/tutorial/3450/en/

If your serial interface is working as expected following these instructions, it would have to be an issue with the instrument or the communication with it, which the company that built the device would probably be able to help you with better.

C. Weeks
Product Support Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,332 Views)