Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8-port PCI RS-232 work on Linux 2.6 Kernel?

I have an 8-port PCI RS-232 card that I'm running a gcc compiled C application that works fine under RedHat 7.2 on a 2.4 Linux Kernel.  I want to run on a Fedora 4 installation with a 2.6 Linux Kernel.  I use the exact same process to initialize the board but when the C application writes to a port, the application hangs.  I'm using this document http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/manuals/322539A-01/ to initialize the board.  Is there something more/different I need to do?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,626 Views)
Hello,
When the support for that particular device was created, it was intended for use with the 2.4 Kernel since that is what it was tested on.  It has not been tested on Kernel 2.6.  I am not sure what the difference is between the working system and the non-working system.  Are you using VISA functionality?  Unfortunately, there is no new documentation or drivers for 2.6, but it may be a possibility in the future.  Also, I suggest going to www.ni.com and selecting "Contact NI".  You can submit a product suggestion there.  Have a great day!

Chris R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Chris R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,603 Views)