Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64 bit VISA drivers for Vista x64

Hello,
I see at the link http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/fn/p/sn/n19:Windows.7809/lang/en that there are VISA drivers for 64 bit XP.  Will these work for Vista x64?  We are planning an upgrade from XP 32-bit. 

Thanks
David Jenkinson
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,040 Views)
David,

Yes, Vista x64 is already supported in the latest version of the driver, NI-VISA 4.3, which can be downloaded here. It is important to note that this driver no longer supports XP x64 you would need to use NI-VISA 4.0. XP x64 is not a recommended operating system.

Enjoy your new computer.
-Marshall R
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,021 Views)

Can you explain why XP x64 "is not a recommended operating system"?  My customer is unlikely to upgrade to Vista for the next couple of years, but has been buying computers with huge memory chips that require XP x64.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,678 Views)

Brian,

By saying the XP x64 "is not a recommended operating system" I don't believe that Marshall meant to say anything about the operating system itself, but more about the support that we provide for our software and products with XP x64.  If you search for drivers on our website that will work with XP x64, you will notice that the list is fairly short, and from a phone and email support standpoint with our Standard Service Program, XP x64 is not an operating system that we officially support for most of our products.  With Vista 64 however, we are dedicating more time and effort to develop a strong support base and to develop working drivers for a 64-bit OS.

Eric K

Application Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,649 Views)
You might also want to point out that VISA is still 32-bit running on Vista 64 bit.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,634 Views)