From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 bit D/A converter and hexadecimal numbers

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi 

I would like to send a hexadecimal number to a 12 bit D/A converter , I figured how to send hexadecimal numbers but the problem I want the user to interact by changing a decimal number .

what I mean the user sees a range of integers 0-4095 then what I need is to convert to hexadecimal to send to the converters .

the way I will send this is  0x07 0x00 B1 B2 , where the first two hexadecimal numbers are to open the port and notify the converter , and B1 , B2 are the result of user input , B1 is least significant byte and B2 is most significant byte , since it is a 12 bit, I should add zero to the left of the most significant byte . for example  if the user input a decimal number that convert to 21C , B1 = 1C , B2 = 02 .

my question is how to do that , do I need to use array to read the conversion and somehow stack the bytes in a buffer that can serve as a control for the sending function , how I can build such an array of bytes or use other VI if needed .

my experience with lab view isn't very much , can some body help me with this ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,433 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bmemq

bmemq,

Here is one way to do this.

Message 2 of 5
(3,416 Views)

Hi Wayne

thanks for the reply , can you send me the vi that you created in the picture . it is unclear to me how to make some of the vi's , i mean what is the formats included .

also on the user input side , at the vi that says user input , should i change to control so that the user can interact, and how I can configure the user input to coerce  to range 0-4095 ??

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,407 Views)

A snippet is a VI. Save the file and drag it to your block diagram. Even without doing that, you just have to use the search button to find the functions.

The 'user input' is a control that the user can interact with.

Right click on the control and select 'Data Entry'.

Message 4 of 5
(3,405 Views)

Thanks guys , that is relay appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,393 Views)