From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the "OD address" or "object dictionary" address in an EtherCAT slave?

Hi all I am trying to set slave address configurations programmatically with this node

ethercat SDO write.PNG

as far as I can tell I am writing to the correct address and registers of the Beckhoff EP3174 module but getting an error. Thinking the "OD Addr" may have something to do with it. What IS the OD address? should it be something other than 0?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,533 Views)

Hi MarkCG,

It is correct that OD address is 0. Which error is reported when you write the SDO. The attachment is the example of how to write the SDO. Could you please test again?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,499 Views)

Hi Yin thank you I have just gotten back to where I can test this. I am using your VI to change the value. I get error

NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT: (Hex 0x8005445D) An SDO request sent by the master has been aborted by the slave device due to incorrect initial commands or incorrect PDO selection. Check the configuration of the slave device on the device's property page and ensure that the configuration is correct.

Pretty sure I am hitting the right index and subindex though-- using hex values, not decimal, of the registers as shown in TwinCAT configuration.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,430 Views)

Hi MarkCG,

Could you please capture the Wireshark log by following this instruction? Also, If you add this slave to your labview project, can you change the scan engine from the configure mode to active mode successfully?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,402 Views)

No problems adding slave to project and switching between config and active mode. It's a Beckhoff EP3356-0022 https://www.beckhoff.com/EP3356/

No problems reading from it either, just trying to configure it programmatically. I'll report back when I do the wireshark setup

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,387 Views)