Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

read an EtherCAT device address

Solved!
Go to solution

Some EtherCAT devices have 3 rotary switches that you can use to set the device address. How do I find out what this address is from LabVIEW? I know if you daisy chain ethercat devices then the device number that shows up in LabVIEW is the order of the network connection. I'm not asking for that. This is a fixed address assigned by using the physical switches. I'm assuming there is an ethercat spec for defining this in an SDO somewhere.

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,090 Views)

I believe it's the "position address" property that you can read when you wire in an EtherCAT slave vairable to a property node. I believe you can drag the variable from the project or discover programmatically

MarkCG_1-1580857702271.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,768 Views)

No, I'm already aware of that property. This "position address" is not the one I'm looking for. That lists the address assigned to the device by the NI ECAT driver after it scans the network, which is different. For example, if you have 3 devices daisy-chained. Then the addresses are 1,2,3 (or 0,1,2).

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,144 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MichaelAivaliotis

To follow-up on this. I got a response from NI support. They claim that this feature is only required by FSoE (Functional Safety Over Ethercat). Their hardware doesn't support this ETG spec so therefore they cannot read the hardware ID. It would be nice for NI to support this capability as it's becoming more popular in industrial automation.

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,065 Views)