Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO PN - Profinet IO

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi I was told to post here regarding my issue with comsoft's cRIO PN.

How does this card get power? In the manual it only says to put it in the first slot of the crio chassis since it uses 1.7W power. Do I still have to wire in power to the card via the power connector on the front of the card, if I put it in the first slot?

Is it possible to move this card between slots 2-4 if im using the power connector on the front of the card? Essentially, im confused about how this card gets power and its requirements to get said power.

Many Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,559 Views)

Hi adam,

The card needs to be powered externally to be discovered.  It was originally developed to be used in the first slot of the cRIO chassis, however it can be used in other slots with some modifications to the underlying code.  Additionally, this card does generate a lot of heat, and as such, the other slot next to it should be left empty. 

Matt S.
Industrial Communications Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 4
(5,552 Views)

The card needs to be powered externally to be discovered. 

Can you elaborate on what this means in specifics? Does this mean the crio pn has to be powered externally all the time? Is it only getting power externally from the power connector?

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,538 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author adamAlias132132

Hi adam,

The PROFINET module draws more power than what can be provided by the cRIO backplane, and thus requires the external power supply.  So in order to discover and use the module, you must have it externally powered.  The mention of slot 1 deals with the fact that module was originally designed to only be used in Slot 1.

Matt S.
Industrial Communications Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,528 Views)