Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the most significant differences between the IEC 61850 edition 1 and 2?

Solved!
Go to solution

what are the basic changes in both editions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(9,075 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sadyou

Hey sadyou,

Bruce M. gives a pretty good summary of the changes in this post on EnerNex. There is also this publication, which gives more detail.

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
Message 2 of 5
(9,054 Views)

Thank you clucker for nice reply.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(9,045 Views)

Hello there,

I am a testdeveloper being tasked with testing my companies IEC61850 Server- and Client-implementation for functional suitability, robustness and standard-conformance. While being new to this specific field, after some months of reading alot i am now able to efficiently do my job.
What gives me problems is the relativly small amount of Information you get on IEC61850 used in practice.

For example I struggle to find a good document comparing into detail an Edition1 SCL-File with an Edition2 SCL-File. While it is easy to find documents that describe the abstract changes (e.g. the Siemens-paper mentioned) i haven't yet found a hands-on comparision example, which would practical explain the differences in an very didactic manner. E.g. a schema-diff, showing differences by an using two example-SCLs.

Things that are unclear to me:
- is there a Tag in the SCL-XML that defines the edition used by the SCL?
- If an ED2 SCL is not 100% ED2, does it, by the standard, fall back into ED1?

thanks in advance,
Jasper

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,312 Views)

Hi,

I am afraid there is no tag to define the edition of the SCL. However, due to NI don't support edition2 now, so I have to say we cannot offer much help on edition2 for you.

I hope the attachment can give you some ideas.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(8,308 Views)