Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading Program Tags from CompactLogix with Ethernet/IP Toolkit

Hello,

I have recently acquired the Ethernet/IP toolkit for LabVIEW 2018, and I am in the process of developing a PC based HMI. I come from the product development world, so this is my first time working with PLCs since college. I have an AB CompactLogix L24ER, with a test program loaded onto it by a Manufacturing Engineer. According to RSLogix, the controller name is HMI_TEST, the task is MainTask, and the program is called MainProgram

I have the correct network address (10.244.244.91,1,0) in the Write And Read Tag.vi, but I am getting a CIP Error:

Extended status may be available
CIP Status: 0x4 (Invalid segment type/IOI)

From what I understand, this is an error from the controller, typically returned when the PLC can't find the tag name. Examples of my tag names include:

• Counter_Sum                                              DINT
  • Counter1.PRE                                             DINT
  • Input_1                                                        BOOL
  • Output_1                                                     BOOL
  • PLC_Clock                                                  DINT[7]
  • String2                                                         STRING

Is there a specific syntax I need to add to the tag names to point the controller to program tags?  In the extended help for the VIs, it breaks down the formatting for reading sub-elements, but I don't think that is helpful here.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,034 Views)

I figured it out, but I would like to leave this here for any other newbies. 

According to this document: https://logic-control.com/media/vendors/allen-Bradley-Controllogix-Ethernet-Manual.pdf

the syntax goes like:

Program: <program name>.<tag name>

So for my Counter_Sum tag in MainProgram

Program:MainProgram.Counter_Sum
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,022 Views)