From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyway to make a PC look like a PLC on a Profibus network?

We currently have a PC based data acquisition system. A customer has asked us to integrate the PC into their PLC (Profibus) network and make it appear as though it (the PC) is a slave on the profibus.

I have found some interfaces that convert profibus to ethernet but haven't found anything, short of the NI Applicon boards (and others), that allow me to go the other way. As I only want to be a relatively stupid slave on the profibus, I was wondering if there isn't a more economical solution.

Any comments, suggestions, directions, etc. would be helpful as I'm starting from scratch and am not sure where to go with this...

Kind Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(13,727 Views)
Hi,

I would first take a look at Profibus web site.
http://www.profibus.com/support.html

Regards,
Remzi A.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(13,721 Views)
Remzi,

From your suggested site as well as a general web search on profibus, I found there are apparently some serial to profibus slave interfaces available... But neither the profibus site nor interface manufacturers provide a lot of insight into the requirements so it is difficult to judge which option is best. And, unfortunately I have to join ($$$.$$) the profibus group to get detailed documentation, specs. etc., about the profibus. I don't really want that much depth anyway.

At the moment, "Anybus" seems to be a leading canidate, but I'm still reading...

Thanks though, that was a start...
Kind Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(13,721 Views)
i've seen some inconsistience.
PC look like on PLC on Profibus?
Only by a PLC on PCI board mounted into PC.
If you would like link PLC with your acquisition application on PC by Profibus use Siemens 5611 or higher PB Card and OPC Server, or instead of profibus PCI card, IE/PB link from Siemens.
What kind of PLC are you using?
Rumcajs.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(13,702 Views)
Hi Eric,

if I understand correctly you need a slave board.
Do you need DP or FMS? Do you use Labview 7 or below?
The boards of COMSOFT from germany can act as Profibus
master or Slave. They also have OPC and Labview add-ons.
See http://www.comsoft.de

Kind regards,

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(13,424 Views)

Hi Rumcajs

I'm starting working in a project that the objective is develop a system in labview to do the acquisition data from a numerical control siemens 810D using siemens cp5611 profibus card. My questions are: I have a simatic sofnet 6.2 software and you have some examples to set the configuration to cp5611? Is it the profibus interface works together OPC? And what function in labview do the comunication with CP5611? If you have some information about this please contact me. Thank's

Del Conte

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(13,025 Views)

Hi, Del Conte

I've looked at: http://www.sea.siemens.com/machine/products/cnc/prod_810d.html#1523 and have seen that this CNC consist of Numerical processor, power units and has integrated PLC S7. And there is possibility to connect this PLC to PC through Profibus. I didn't remeber if inside of Softnet exist OPC Server. You can check it in Simatic NET Configuration Console. Siemens doesn't provide any drivers for LV to their CP5611 card. Comunnication idea relay on using OPC Server. OPC Server establish and continue data exchange between PLC and PC. Labview has OPC Client features by means of DataSocked or DSC module to get/put the data. If you give me your PLC configuration (series numbers of all PLC modules on the rack from left to right ,e.g. - 6ES7315-2AG10-0AB0) I can prepare to you connection configuration PLC - PC. Moreover you have to have STEP7 Programming Software and Simatic NET Software to download PLC configuration into PLC.

Regards. Rumcajs

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(12,998 Views)

Hi Rumcajs,

At the moment I have a cp5611 profibus PCI card and the serial number of this device is 6GK1561-1AA00.  I'm not have working with PLC modules on the rack. I just have this module cp5611 equipped with a profibus interface. It is intended for use in progamming devices (PGs) and PCs with a PCI bus interface and we are suposing to use this card in a PC and collect data from this device with LV. I think it's better to us change more information directly via e-mail / msn / skype if you are able to. My e-mail/msn contact is contedel@hotmail.com.

Thank's

Del Conte

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(12,988 Views)