Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info for General Solution about Internet-based GUI with active web server on Micro-controller (Ethernet)

Solved!
Go to solution

My intention is to have the embedded device (ATMEGA32) located at a remote location somewhere over the internet (connected via Ethernet) connected (via CANBUS) to the fuel cell system for measurement of data (Current and temperature of fuel cell).
The end-user/or client must be able to view these acquired data through the browser on the internet. The main aim of this project is to prevent any pc dedicated merely as a web server, therefore I would like to know your general solutions.
(I noticed that I can impelent a web server on this microcontroller, But how to assign the GUI for showing the data on the browser for the users?--I mean I am not clarified if the designed GUI (LabVIEW or C-SHARP) should be located in the internet (Host & Domain solution) or there are some better solutions for it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,456 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ajaba

If you have a solution for the web server on the micro controller, and are confident that architecture will work, it sounds like your question is how to write a client for the data. 

Some of the things you are talking about sound like you want the web server on the micro controller to serve up a fully functional gui to any client. This might not be practical because of the limited computing power on the micro controller and the difficulty of building up and maintaining that sort of server in a micro controller environment. 

A more common architecture I have seen is just to serve raw data and let the user client interpret the data and display it as graphs etc This does mean the user will have to have a access the micro controller from a computer running a client that you make.

You can either use the  data communication/protocols/http client pallete in labview or you can write a c# client It really is a question of what data you need to acquire and what language  you are more comfortable in.  

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
Message 2 of 3
(5,446 Views)

My objective is to prevent any third party software installation for the client as our client is not interested to buy the third-party softwares such as LabVIEW to reduce his costs. Therefore,they prefer to use merely browser at their client machine and observe the data in an acceptable structure.

Of course,complicated and highly graphical user interface is not our objective at the beginning.but we are just searching for some ideas which suit our target.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,438 Views)