Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IEC 60870-5-101 Clock Syncronization Command

Dear Readers,

I would like to request your assistance on implementing IEC 60870-5-101 Clock Sync Command (C_CS_xx) with the API available to LabVIEW. 
What I want to achieve is to make my (Slave) compact RIO to sync its timebase with the value coming from the Master (station).

It should be a simple command, yet I struggle to find the solution. I am right now having the chills that it might not be implemented in the API Pack. If that is the case,
please help me find a way to implement the functionality. My hands are bound in the way that I can not by any means modify the Master side, so it has to be C_CS_xx command.

Thank you very much in advance,

Any lead or constructive tips are welcome.

Reankhar

Reankhar

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,974 Views)

Hi Peter,

Clock Sync Command is already implemented in 60870 controlled station. There's no VI for it and it's transparent to a controlled station.

The function runs underneath and will change the system time of an NI RT system (not working for Windows) once it receives such a command from the constrolling station.

The controlling station should have a response from it.

If there is another component, e.g. EtherCAT who also has control over system time, the RT system time may not be changed if the privilege is in EtherCAT's hand.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,955 Views)

Hi LewisL,

Thank you for the response. I guessed it could work like that.. the problem here is that the system time is not being refreshed. 
I assume there should be a property to enable the functionality, and I found something like "Sync Time Event Enable" (maybe its phrased in an other way - it was a Sector Property).

It does however not update system time with / or without this flag being enabled. 

I am using a cRIO-9022 controller. It could be the lack of a configuration option or something to enable the time sync on the controller ifself.. I however did not find it.

Do you know if the response for the Time Sync could be disabled ? I would need to be able to disable the response message.

Thank you in advance,

Reankhar

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,951 Views)

Hi Reankhar,

I just tried it myself. No property setting. It works.

(there's no such a thing as "Sync Time Event Enable" or similar that enables/disables this function.)

I did it on a clean cRIO only with 60870 so there was no possible interference.

I think you need to check if you have any other factors like I mentioned in my first reply.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,865 Views)