From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to directly communicate with a Rockwell Kinetix 300 Ethernet/IP Servo Drive with LabVIEW using Ethernet/IP protocol

Hello,

I have a Rockwell Kinetix 300 Ethernet/IP Servo drive and I would like to communicate with it using LabVIEW through Ethernet/IP protocol. I've being using Ethernet/IP protocol on other applications to communicate with ControlLogix PLCs with no problem. But now I would like to communicate with a Kinetix Servo Drive in a way I don't have to use Rockwell PLC to control it.

Also I would like to communicate with a Frequency Inverster Model Power Flex 400 also from Rockwell.

I'm using the following Ethernet/IP Driver provided by NI.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/pt/nid/209676

Does anyone have any example or ideas for this communication?

Thanks and regards!

Luciano Borges
Test Development Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,214 Views)

Hi Luciano,

From my experience with Servo Drives, they typically are Adapters only.  Additionally, the EtherNet/IP driver that NI provides is adapter only.  With this in mind, we will be unable to communicate using Implicit (I/O) Messaging because we will not have a Scanner to initiate the connection.  You will need to use explicit messaging to communicate to the servo.  I would recommend taking a look at the Access Assembly Instance Data (Explicit).vi and Access Identity Attribute (Explicit).vi for getting started.  You can find this in the example finder, Hardware Input and Output » NI-Industrial Communications » EtherNet/IP » EtherNet/IP Adapter.lvproj.

Matt S.
Industrial Communications Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,209 Views)