Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to directly communicate with a Rockwell Kinetix 300 Ethernet/IP Servo Drive with LabVIEW using Ethernet/IP protocol

Hello,

I have a Rockwell Kinetix 300 Ethernet/IP Servo drive and I would like to communicate with it using LabVIEW through Ethernet/IP protocol. I've being using Ethernet/IP protocol on other applications to communicate with ControlLogix PLCs with no problem. But now I would like to communicate with a Kinetix Servo Drive in a way I don't have to use Rockwell PLC to control it.

Also I would like to communicate with a Frequency Inverster Model Power Flex 400 also from Rockwell.

I'm using the following Ethernet/IP Driver provided by NI.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/pt/nid/209676

Does anyone have any example or ideas for this communication?

Thanks and regards!

Luciano Borges
Test Development Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,189 Views)

Hi Luciano,

From my experience with Servo Drives, they typically are Adapters only.  Additionally, the EtherNet/IP driver that NI provides is adapter only.  With this in mind, we will be unable to communicate using Implicit (I/O) Messaging because we will not have a Scanner to initiate the connection.  You will need to use explicit messaging to communicate to the servo.  I would recommend taking a look at the Access Assembly Instance Data (Explicit).vi and Access Identity Attribute (Explicit).vi for getting started.  You can find this in the example finder, Hardware Input and Output » NI-Industrial Communications » EtherNet/IP » EtherNet/IP Adapter.lvproj.

Matt S.
Industrial Communications Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,184 Views)