Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure and test Profibus network using NI part number 780161-01 Master/Slave interface

Solved!
Go to solution

I have purchased this board from NI. I have been in touch with Comsoft who it appears is the developer of this board. I have used the configurator II to try and build the network. The GSD file for my slave board is entered. I also can see the GSD file for the master. There appears to be no obvious way to test the bus from the configuration tool. I have tried the Express VI provided by Comsoft. Nothing happens. I have a purchased profibus cable with terminations installed. I know the cable works as another division has another Profibus master that does work using this cable How do I configure correctly for sure? How do I test?

Thanks

Rick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,481 Views)

Hi Rick, 

Everything you need to know about setting up your Profibus device can be found in this Getting Start Tutorial. The instructions for setting up the device can be found under the "Device and System Startup" and programming instructions can be found under the "Programming Model" section. Hope this helps,  

Julianne K
Systems Engineer, Embedded Systems
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,467 Views)

NI field Rep was here for 2 1/2 hours. We attempted to follow these directions and could not get it to work. I know the cable is good. I know the slave device I am trying to communicate with is good. both have been verified.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Rick

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,458 Views)

Hi Rick, 

First, ensure that you have the correct drivers installed on your system: 

• Make sure NI-VISA 4.2 or later is installed on your system.
  • First install 1.3x.x COMSOFT driver
  • Second install a DF PROFI II Slave and Master board in your PC-System.  
  • Reboot your computer System.  
  • Install the NI-PROFIBUS driver, instructions can be found here. 

However, it sounds to me like you may have an issue with your bus configuration or with the GSD file. First, did you obtain the GSD file from the manufacturer or from profibus.com? 

Also, common issues with the configuration include specifying an improper baud rate (supported baud rates can be found here), or an incorrect PROFIBUS address. Were you able to successfully save the bus configuration and generate the configuration database? Were you able to load the configuration database into the master device successfully as well?  

If you are unable to resolve this issue, can you provide me with some more information about your system setup and error? What PXI chassis are you using, version of LabVIEW, operating system? What devices are you testing on the bus? 

Julianne K
Systems Engineer, Embedded Systems
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,446 Views)

I believe the first 5 steps were followed correctly as the self test for the board in Max works. When I selected baud rates the configuration tool detected and reported an issue if the baud rate was not supported by the slave which is our board. Our board is reg with the profibus site. works with a different profibus tool just fine.

Visa version is 4.2

Labeled 8.0

Windows XP

PXI1010 chassis. This is the second of two chassis. MXI 4 link connects the two.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,438 Views)

Sorry Labview version is 8.0.

The error seems to be that the configuration tool is looking for the device at the address I have installed it at. In this case address 7. I have tried other addresses. Also tried the Labview Express Master VI. This also fails. Should read what is on the bus.

Rick

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,437 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rick.M

The issue has been solved. In the configuration tool, after the slave device is connected to the network, All the attributes listed underneath it must also be dragged over and placed in the listing that appears. Never saw this step in the documentation. Once that was done the configuration tool could initialize and find the slave.

Rick

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,424 Views)
Hi rick
Could you kindly explain which attributes to be dragged. If possible a screenshot, as we too are facing a similar problem.
Thank you
Shreyas.
Shreyas Hebbare
Shreyas Technologies
India
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,856 Views)